• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

NFL Thread

My Pittsburgh friends are not in the least surprised at the collapse of the Steelers. 11 - 0 was considered crazy at the time with about 7 - 4 being a better reflection of the team’s abilities. Somehow Big Ben kept getting them over the line.

I love visiting Pittsburgh. It reminds me of home in some ways, a city built on heavy industry trying to come to terms with the decline of those industries. The passion for all its sports teams and the pubs. Pubs very similar to ours in fact, something you rarely see elsewhere in the US.

CSF said:
JackSomething said:
I'm going to guess it's the Bears or the Lions?

Lions.

At the time they had recently gone 0-16, and I also as a youngster had a fascination with the fact their stadium had a roof from the 94 world cup. Never won a superbowl, so in my mind would be a good team to follow. Also had Stafford and Calvin Johnson.

Plus i knew the Bears from the 85 superbowl so considered them a big team.

Since then have found out the realities of following them!!

I started following the 49ers right in the middle of their glory years, but in my defence I was a child! My old man let me stay up and watch some of the Super Bowl win over the Bengals in 1989, which I've seen described as the first time the Super Bowl was a actually a super game. I was too young to really appreciate the wins in 1990 and 1994 and I've suffered through some terrible years since, so I don't feel too much like a gloryhunter!

It looked like a lock that your Lions would be hiring our DC, Robert Saleh. He put together a brilliant season with half of our defence injured and is a Detroit native, but rumours are he's heading to the Jets now instead.

Also seen links connecting us with trading for Stafford if your new head coach decides a total rebuild is needed. I can't see it happening, but the thought of Stafford as QB in a Kyle Shanahan offence is tasty.

JackSomething said:
CSF said:
Lions.

At the time they had recently gone 0-16, and I also as a youngster had a fascination with the fact their stadium had a roof from the 94 world cup. Never won a superbowl, so in my mind would be a good team to follow. Also had Stafford and Calvin Johnson.

Plus i knew the Bears from the 85 superbowl so considered them a big team.

Since then have found out the realities of following them!!

I started following the 49ers right in the middle of their glory years, but in my defence I was a child! My old man let me stay up and watch some of the Super Bowl win over the Bengals in 1989, which I've seen described as the first time the Super Bowl was a actually a super game. I was too young to really appreciate the wins in 1990 and 1994 and I've suffered through some terrible years since, so I don't feel too much like a gloryhunter!

It looked like a lock that your Lions would be hiring our DC, Robert Saleh. He put together a brilliant season with half of our defence injured and is a Detroit native, but rumours are he's heading to the Jets now instead.

Also seen links connecting us with trading for Stafford if your new head coach decides a total rebuild is needed. I can't see it happening, but the thought of Stafford as QB in a Kyle Shanahan offence is tasty.

I suppose it depends where you get your rumours from!! I've seen reports on Saleh's interview being a bust, and I've seen reports saying he was excellent. He was definitely one of the early frontrunners, but same as you I've now heard he's in for the Jets.

We have the added issue of needing a GM after the debacle that was Quinntricia, so any action on Stafford will wait until we've got a GM (I would imagine) then a HC then deal with player issues, for me that means Stafford first then Golladay. A number of mistakes can be laid at the feet of BOb Quinn not tying our star WR to a contract is definitely one of them the worst ones.

I love Stafford would put him at number three of star players the Lions didn't use to their full potential behind Sanders and Johnson. Tough as nails and can do it all.

Niners are one of those teams that when I got back into it I couldn't believe how bad they were. Didn't really understand the nature of how teams change so widely at the time. As a youngster it was literally the 9ers, the Cowboys and the Dolphins because of Marino who were the teams I knew of. Then as I started to take an interest again I think Alex Smith had not long been drafted and Singletary was probably coach.

So CSF, looks like you've got your GM, but not your HC yet. Perhaps the rumours Saleh's interview with Detroit was a disappointment were true? Can't see him turning down his hometown team for the Jets. Personally I'm happy he's gone to the AFC, it's easier to root for him in the other conference!

I don't know much about Brad Holmes, but can see a writer for the Detroit Free Press is critical of the move, saying he was a full five spots behind Ram's GM Les Snead on the organisational chart as their college scouting director.

JackSomething said:
So CSF, looks like you've got your GM, but not your HC yet. Perhaps the rumours Saleh's interview with Detroit was a disappointment were true? Can't see him turning down his hometown team for the Jets. Personally I'm happy he's gone to the AFC, it's easier to root for him in the other conference!

I don't know much about Brad Holmes, but can see a writer for the Detroit Free Press is critical of the move, saying he was a full five spots behind Ram's GM Les Snead on the organisational chart as their college scouting director.

From what I've read Saleh to Jets was pretty much a done thing all along. Looks like it will be Campbell from the Saints.

The general response to the appointment is good, a lot of people high on it. I think the article you are talking about was by Carlos Monarrez? If so everything I've read of him has been contrary, was against Patricia at the beginning when everyone was for him, then for him at the end when everyone could see it was over. I don't rate him as a writer, Dave Birkett seems much better.

Apparently Holmes had a big hand in drafting Donald Penn, and a bunch of the second and third round picks for the Rams over the last few years, I don't think they've had a first round pick for a few years so had to draft well.

Don’t care who wins it from here.

Head says a Packers and Chiefs final. Heart says Bills and Bucs.

I can't see Mahomes being allowed to play after that concussion, superstar or not they've got to follow the protocols. That makes Buffalo favourites in the AFC for me. I don't think the Packers are going to win as easily as people have been suggesting either, Bucs have got a really good defence and they've got a ton of talent in their receivers too.

CSF said:
JackSomething said:

From what I've read Saleh to Jets was pretty much a done thing all along. Looks like it will be Campbell from the Saints.

The general response to the appointment is good, a lot of people high on it. I think the article you are talking about was by Carlos Monarrez? If so everything I've read of him has been contrary, was against Patricia at the beginning when everyone was for him, then for him at the end when everyone could see it was over. I don't rate him as a writer, Dave Birkett seems much better.

Apparently Holmes had a big hand in drafting Donald Penn, and a bunch of the second and third round picks for the Rams over the last few years, I don't think they've had a first round pick for a few years so had to draft well.

I'm not sure who it was, may well have been that Monarrez guy. I'm going to guess he's like Grant Cohn (and his Dad) for the 49ers. They write nonsense, usually negative articles and get all uppity when people call them out on their nonsense (sounds like some forum posters!).

Grant's latest hot take is that we shouldn't try to keep Trent Williams, one of the best left tackle's in the NFL. His reasoning was that the offensive line is terrible anyway, so why pay lots of money to keep the one good player?

Good luck with the HC search. Thankfully for us, Saleh has only taken a few staff with him to the Jets. Need to wait and see how many of our numerous free agents he makes a run at. The reduced salary cap for next season could not have come at a worse time for the 49ers. At least neither team can have an offseason as bad as the Texans, right?

Well last night was definitely one of the most cowardly set of Championship games I've seen. Can't believe the Packers kicked a field goal instead of going for a touchdown with 2 minutes left, there chance of them getting the ball back from Brady is tiny. Then the Bills decided to kick field goals when they were down by two scores, against a Chiefs attack that was ripping them to shreds??

It's going to feel weird to be cheering for Tom Brady in a Super Bowl. The only other time I can remember doing that is when the Patriots were playing the Seahawks.

JackSomething said:
CSF said:

I'm not sure who it was, may well have been that Monarrez guy. I'm going to guess he's like Grant Cohn (and his Dad) for the 49ers. They write nonsense, usually negative articles and get all uppity when people call them out on their nonsense (sounds like some forum posters!).

Grant's latest hot take is that we shouldn't try to keep Trent Williams, one of the best left tackle's in the NFL. His reasoning was that the offensive line is terrible anyway, so why pay lots of money to keep the one good player?

Good luck with the HC search. Thankfully for us, Saleh has only taken a few staff with him to the Jets. Need to wait and see how many of our numerous free agents he makes a run at. The reduced salary cap for next season could not have come at a worse time for the 49ers. At least neither team can have an offseason as bad as the Texans, right?

Well we have Brad Holmes as our GM, Dan "bite you in the kneecap" as our HC Anthony Lynn as OC and Aaron Glenn as our DC. Lot of good feeling about the coaching set up, and John Dorsey formerly of the Chiefs and Browns is coming into the front office to assist our rookie GM. Feels like some long awaited good news in Detroit on Friday morning.

And then Friday afternoon they announced that they will be looking to trade Stafford. 9ers being touted in a lot of the "top 5 landing spots for Matthew Stafford" articles I've been reading.

Interesting times ahead!

As for the championship games, I'm pleased for Brady, gets to prove that he wasn't just a tool for Belichick, 10 Superbowl appearances, thats some record!

CSF said:
JackSomething said:

Well we have Brad Holmes as our GM, Dan "bite you in the kneecap" as our HC Anthony Lynn as OC and Aaron Glenn as our DC. Lot of good feeling about the coaching set up, and John Dorsey formerly of the Chiefs and Browns is coming into the front office to assist our rookie GM. Feels like some long awaited good news in Detroit on Friday morning.

And then Friday afternoon they announced that they will be looking to trade Stafford. 9ers being touted in a lot of the "top 5 landing spots for Matthew Stafford" articles I've been reading.

Interesting times ahead!

As for the championship games, I'm pleased for Brady, gets to prove that he wasn't just a tool for Belichick, 10 Superbowl appearances, thats some record!

Campbell's introductory press conference was something wasn't it? It shouldn't be dull with him in charge. Kind of reminded me of Mike Singletary with the Niners. If it does go that way, be comforted with the fact that he left a solid roster for Harbaugh to turn into a great team (for a few years at least).

Can't believe no-one is hiring Eric Bieniemy. I think there's only the Texans left and that was probably the least attractive vacancy even before the Watson situation blew up.

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back