• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

NFL Thread

Skippyjack said:
Any other tw*t staying up to watch the Super Bowl like me?.. hope the Bengals win, but I just can't see it

Early start for me so I’m calling it a night. It will take some effort from the Bengals to win this. I shall catch up in a few hours from now.

Woke in the early hours so watched the last few minutes. Made a refreshing change from watching from the off, then falling asleep and missing the last few minutes.

Cincinnati rather let the chance of overtime slip away disappointingly.

Terrible terrible holding call on the Bengals which would have taken it to 4th and goal with about a minute on the clock.

They call the non existent ones to decide games and competently miss the face mask in the first half.

"It evened things out" apparently. Not sure it did given how late it was. Horrible refereeing at times. That made some football referee's look consistent.

Allergic2Hoof said:
Terrible terrible holding call on the Bengals which would have taken it to 4th and goal with about a minute on the clock.

They call the non existent ones to decide games and competently miss the face mask in the first half.

"It evened things out" apparently. Not sure it did given how late it was. Horrible refereeing at times. That made some football referee's look consistent.

Yeah it was a really shitty ending to what had been a decent close fought contest up until then. They'd barely thrown a flag all game and then they throw an absolutely pathetic holding call like that one.

I'd rather watch paint dry than watch helmet ball.

Ebo said:

There's a 34 page thread on Wordle here. I haven't posted on it because I have nothing to add to the conversation. Maybe consider a similar approach? :lol:

How bad is this start to the season, how many fumbles and sackings and terrible play has there been.. I noticed they rested their main players in pre-season.. but surely it can't be down to that

I got caught up in the pre-season euphoria and bet big on the Raiders. Predictably now 0-1 though it was a reasonably tough start at the Chargers.

Ebo said:

Before I moved to the US I would have agreed with you 100%. I would have said the same about any of the 4 main team sports that get coverage over here (NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL).

I made an effort to watch a few NFL games and after that first season I was hooked. I now absolutely love it. The average NFL match has far more drama and excitement than an average Premier League game. Given the choice, I'd watch an NFL game over an EPL game all things being equal.

Swans are still by far no.1 for me of course, and football will always be my sporting soul-mate, but my views on American football have completely 180'd just by watching it and trying to understand it all.

Mind you, my local adopted team is the Tennessee Titans and they lost to a last second missed field goal yesterday - that was a right kick in the nads.

FearOfAJackPlanet said:
Ebo said:

Before I moved to the US I would have agreed with you 100%. I would have said the same about any of the 4 main team sports that get coverage over here (NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL).

I made an effort to watch a few NFL games and after that first season I was hooked. I now absolutely love it. The average NFL match has far more drama and excitement than an average Premier League game. Given the choice, I'd watch an NFL game over an EPL game all things being equal.

Swans are still by far no.1 for me of course, and football will always be my sporting soul-mate, but my views on American football have completely 180'd just by watching it and trying to understand it all.

Mind you, my local adopted team is the Tennessee Titans and they lost to a last second missed field goal yesterday - that was a right kick in the nads.

I think what hurts the sport the most is that it's not one that a newcomer can just turn on and get a good idea what's going on just by watching. If people are prepared to put in a little effort and learn, it's a fantastic sport to watch.

Out of curiosity, did you get into any of the other sports you mentioned? I loved the NBA in my teens when I used to play basketball, but lost interest after that and have zero interest in hockey and baseball.

My 49ers threw away a 10 point lead in the 3rd Quarter to lose in the pouring rain to the Bears, so I'm at least as disappointed as you are.

I see Skippy thought it was terrible and it may well have been because I have little clue about it but the end of the Bengals/Steelers game was gripping and as mad as sport can be.
Bengals get a literally last second touchdown after a series of near misses to tie the score then miss the extra point! Steelers win in overtime.

JackSomething said:
FearOfAJackPlanet said:

I think what hurts the sport the most is that it's not one that a newcomer can just turn on and get a good idea what's going on just by watching. If people are prepared to put in a little effort and learn, it's a fantastic sport to watch.

Out of curiosity, did you get into any of the other sports you mentioned? I loved the NBA in my teens when I used to play basketball, but lost interest after that and have zero interest in hockey and baseball.

My 49ers threw away a 10 point lead in the 3rd Quarter to lose in the pouring rain to the Bears, so I'm at least as disappointed as you are.

I haven't got into any of the other sports in a major way.

I'll watch the NBA post-season, but I still don't know enough about the game (positions/tactics etc) to really get too into it. In its favour, it's a sport (a bit like 'soccer') where the obvious skill of the best players is clearly on display in an immediate, understandable sense, so it's easier to watch for the casual like me. I thought I'd naturally gravitate to Baseball as I love cricket, but that hasn't happened to any real extent yet, although I've been to a few games and enjoyed the spectator experience even if I didn't know much of what's going on. NHL is meh - can't get into it.

J_B said:
I see Skippy thought it was terrible and it may well have been because I have little clue about it but the end of the Bengals/Steelers game was gripping and as mad as sport can be.
Bengals get a literally last second touchdown after a series of near misses to tie the score then miss the extra point! Steelers win in overtime.

Didn't both teams miss field goals in overtime too before the Steelers finally hit one? Great drama, plus I love the 'doink' sound when a football hits the upright!

Start of Euro 2024

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back