• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

"Liz Truss, whose side are you on?"

• Thread starter K23
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 49
  • Views: Views 2,777
exiledclaseboy said:
BLAZE said:
The Daily Mail commenters were quick to point out that a PR system has seen Italy have 68 governments in 75 years, whilst nothing gets done due to the constant upheaval. Is that a fair point? I ask because I don't know

Italy is often held up an an example of how PR can lead to unstable governments. But what Italy gets, for better or worse, is a Parliament that largely reflects how the people voted. We don’t and never have. And Italy is notoriously combustible politically. Many other countries use forms of PR with no such instability.

And of course our own first past the post system, which apparently promotes stable government, has in the last 12 years produced two hung parliaments, one coalition and four prime ministers. So we’re not exactly a model of stability.

Absolutely. Netherlands (Mark Rutte been PM since 2010), Germany, Denmark. Sweden etc. all incredibly stable politically with PR. Most rely on consensus politics and are, in general, centre left by UK standards. All have a higher living standard in the UK and less wealth disparity.

Professor said:
exiledclaseboy said:
Italy is often held up an an example of how PR can lead to unstable governments. But what Italy gets, for better or worse, is a Parliament that largely reflects how the people voted. We don’t and never have. And Italy is notoriously combustible politically. Many other countries use forms of PR with no such instability.

And of course our own first past the post system, which apparently promotes stable government, has in the last 12 years produced two hung parliaments, one coalition and four prime ministers. So we’re not exactly a model of stability.

Absolutely. Netherlands (Mark Rutte been PM since 2010), Germany, Denmark. Sweden etc. all incredibly stable politically with PR. Most rely on consensus politics and are, in general, centre left by UK standards. All have a higher living standard in the UK and less wealth disparity.

And don't forget us here in Spain! PR is the voting system used here. We currently have a coalition government made up of the PSOE (the Spanish Labour Party) in the majority, along with hard left Podemos, and various regional nationalists like the Basques and Catalonians. In my humble opinion, they are doing an excellent job ruling the country on behalf of the majority, under very difficult circumstances.
Underneath the national government is a structure of autonomous regions (a bit like the devolved governments of Scotland and Wales). In some of those, the Spanish Tories (the PP) are in power. They have certain tax setting powers. And guess what? Several of them are doing away with the so called Patrimony Tax, which is a wealth tax on the topmost stratum of society, in defiance of the national government. They say this tax inhibits investment and doing away with it will create 'trickle down' benefits to the poorest. Sounds familiar? Scumbag Tories are the same the world over.
Except in this country the left are in power, so Pedro Sanchez's government has said "OK, you're doing away with the wealth tax? Fine, we'll just wack a couple of percent on the top rate of income tax instead". Have that, you c**ts.

Excellent speech from Starmer.

I see Crace, or someone else, has now christened The Tory Jerk, Kamikwasi Kwarteng.

monmouth said:

I see Crace, or someone else, has now christened The Tory Jerk, Kamikwasi Kwarteng.

Seem highly likely the OBR figures are going to force some sort of U-turn, which would make Kwarteng's position untenable. Truss will be lucky to last into the New Year.

Professor said:
monmouth said:

Seem highly likely the OBR figures are going to force some sort of U-turn, which would make Kwarteng's position untenable. Truss will be lucky to last into the New Year.

I hope she lasts a bit longer than that, Prof. I've been saying for months that 'Two Soups' is an absolute gift for Labour.

Now the IMF openly criticise the chancellor for his crazy non budget.

Apparently financial analysts are calling him Dagenham which is three stops beyond Barking.

Someone please correct me but didn't Belgium go almost two years without a government in power due to PR...and guess what, they were fine with their equivalent of the civil service and others doing their thing.

Professor said:
exiledclaseboy said:

Ironically, this mess that Murdoch, Dacre, Barclay and the goons from Tufton Street have foisted upon us may well be their death. Propaganda in the papers won't wash when people start losing their homes. PR and full throttle for Leveson 2 is simply a must for the next incumbents of number 10

waynekerr55 said:
Apparently the markets and the IMF are now "left wing"...

Let's face it, any person or organisation with even a modicum of social responsibility and awareness is considerably to the left of this dreadful government. It doesn't take much. :|

DJack said:
Someone please correct me but didn't Belgium go almost two years without a government in power due to PR...and guess what, they were fine with their equivalent of the civil service and others doing their thing.

I think you unwittingly hit the nail on the head there, when you used the word "power". Consensus politics doesn't require anyone to have 'power' because the people should provide that. Those who have the positions of authority have the responsibility to carry things out, not make up their own self-serving agenda as they go along. The Belgian people didn't need anyone in positions of power just people with authority.

Best_loser said:
Where is Liz truss , haven't seen her for days

Maybe she's hiding in a fridge somewhere like her predecessor 🤣. If I'd spent the first 3 weeks of a new job fecking up everything that I touched, I'd feel inclined to hide too.

https://twitter.com/haveigotnews/status/1575066878133010440?s=21

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back