• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

"Liz Truss, whose side are you on?"

• Thread starter K23
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 49
  • Views: Views 2,767
Neath_Jack said:
Should be leader of the party.

Even if your right it doesn't really matter , its all about perceptions when it comes to the thick British electorate , she would get slaughtered in the same way brown, Miliband and corbyn were , starmer is a knight has a southern accent and good hair , that's the important thing

Burnham should be leader. Far more impressive than I ever thought.

When is anyone going to tackle the elephant in the room though? Brexit is a crock of shit. PLus relentlessly pointing out that it is a choice to borrow to make the rich richer rather than borrowing to invest in the NHS, Infrastructure, Social Care etc. It all makes my blood boil.

monmouth said:

When is anyone going to tackle the elephant in the room though? Brexit is a crock of s**t. PLus relentlessly pointing out that it is a choice to borrow to make the rich richer rather than borrowing to invest in the NHS, Infrastructure, Social Care etc. It all makes my blood boil.

He would be my first choice as well, but he isn’t an MP any more is he?

Neath_Jack said:
monmouth said:

When is anyone going to tackle the elephant in the room though? Brexit is a crock of s**t. PLus relentlessly pointing out that it is a choice to borrow to make the rich richer rather than borrowing to invest in the NHS, Infrastructure, Social Care etc. It all makes my blood boil.

My wife often mentions him as a future leader. I'm not sure he has to be an MP though, just a paid up member of the party because it is the party members who would elect the leader.

Edit: My mistake, just checked, Andy Burnham WOULD need to be an MP to stand as leader.

Neath_Jack said:
monmouth said:

Yeah , they’d need to find him a safe seat at a by-election. Starmer will be leader at the next election now. I like him and we simply can’t afford for him to blow this. I think the lot we have are doing scorched earth as they know the gig is up, so taking all the public cash they can for them and their cronies.

First job should be to change the electoral system so we never get such a malign dictatorship again, but he probably won’t. It sickens me that whatever I vote I get a Con man, and it’s the same in Wales re Lab. votes have to start counting properly.

Labour conference backs a commitment to PR but the leadership doesn’t see it as a priority. They should. It’s the biggest single change that can save the U.K. from its own electoral inadequacies.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/26/labour-delegates-back-motion-calling-on-party-to-back-pr

exiledclaseboy said:
Labour conference backs a commitment to PR but the leadership doesn’t see it as a priority. They should. It’s the biggest single change that can save the U.K. from its own electoral inadequacies.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/26/labour-delegates-back-motion-calling-on-party-to-back-pr

I'm fine for Starmer to not prioritise it right now if it's not seen as something that will help Labour win the next election. Should they get into power and he still doesn't prioritise it, I'd have a problem with that.

The Daily Mail commenters were quick to point out that a PR system has seen Italy have 68 governments in 75 years, whilst nothing gets done due to the constant upheaval. Is that a fair point? I ask because I don't know

BLAZE said:
The Daily Mail commenters were quick to point out that a PR system has seen Italy have 68 governments in 75 years, whilst nothing gets done due to the constant upheaval. Is that a fair point? I ask because I don't know

Italy is often held up an an example of how PR can lead to unstable governments. But what Italy gets, for better or worse, is a Parliament that largely reflects how the people voted. We don’t and never have. And Italy is notoriously combustible politically. Many other countries use forms of PR with no such instability.

And of course our own first past the post system, which apparently promotes stable government, has in the last 12 years produced two hung parliaments, one coalition and four prime ministers. So we’re not exactly a model of stability.

I'm wondering what tomorrow's Daily Mail front page will be, considering the crash in the pound. I'm thinking it will either be (a) an attack on Angela Rayner, or (b) a photo of some cute kittens. The economy won't be mentioned. But I could be doing them an injustice, I suppose.

Latest poll tonight puts Labour 17 points ahead. There’s going to be some twitchy Tory arses on the back benches.

What price a Boris return before the next election?

Start of Euro 2024

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back