• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Dying Intestate

Toronto_Motors

First Team Player
Reaction score
Some advice for those who remarried and especially those who have kids from a previous marriage:-Make a Will.

Obviously not going into detail on here, but somebody in my extended family died intestate recently and the fact there were siblings in that family has made matters a feast for solicitors.

He was relatively young and his lack of prescience is going to be painful.

Even if you are "young" make one and rest easy knowing your assets,however modest,not only go to the right people but ,more importantly, do not go to those you want to benefit.

It can be done easily by oneself but I'd advise employing a solicitor if a former wife/children are involved or a business.

People who have made a will, on average, live longer than people who have not.

Toronto_Motors said:
Some advice for those who remarried and especially those who have kids from a previous marriage:-Make a Will.

Obviously not going into detail on here, but somebody in my extended family died intestate recently and the fact there were siblings in that family has made matters a feast for solicitors.

Even if you are "young" make one and rest easy knowing your assets,however modest,not only go to the right people but ,more importantly, do not go to those you want to benefit.

It can be done easily by oneself but I'd advise employing a solicitor if a former wife/children are involved or a business.

Agreed. It's a PITA but needs doing.

One thing to add. A mate's parents split up, though they didn't actually divorce. His dad changed his will to reflect thIs. Unfortunately he kept his will in his pantry.

Have a guess who was first to get to his house only hours after his death?

By the time my mate arrived at the house his mum was in the garden stoking a bonfire. The will had mysteriously disappeared.

My will is stored at a solicitors (though I confess I've no idea how they'll find out when I croak).

Squarebear said:
Toronto_Motors said:

One thing to add. A mate's parents split up, though they didn't actually divorce. His dad changed his will to reflect thIs. Unfortunately he kept his will in his pantry.

By the time my mate arrived at the house his mum was in the garden stoking a bonfire. The will had mysteriously disappeared.

My will is stored at a solicitors (though I confess I've no idea how they'll find out when I croak).

So is mine.It is the best place if you are an Executor,without doubt

Squarebear said:
Toronto_Motors said:

Tell them, now? And tell your executors where you are keeping the copy in the house.

monmouth said:
Squarebear said:
Toronto_Motors said:

Tell them, now? And tell your executors where you are keeping the copy in the house.

I used to write Wills .as a little cottage industry,but baulked at complex family issues as the repercussions can be severe and hit the unprepared hard

Divorce remains very bitter and caustic.

Thanks for your response Monmouth

It was for square bear but I cocked up the quote

It you make a will make sure the original will is stored at your solicitors.
Give your executors a copy of your will and keep a copy with your personal papers.

Pentyrchjack said:
A friend of mine died intestate on the Interstate in Indiana.

Hope somebody within your family unit is never affected by Intestacy Rules

I was actually being serious there Toronto. We used to work together in mining and quarrying aggregates for the Aluminium Company of America.

Most people think that wills are important for older people, although they are equally important for younger people especially parents of young children. The surviving children of parents who die intestate may become Wards of Court in the absence of a preagreed legal guardian.

When doing a will, it’s also a good time to think about inheritance tax thresholds. I have put some of my assets into a Trust for my children, which also provides taxable benefits now and reduces longer term inheritance taxes.

Pentyrchjack said:
I was actually being serious there Toronto. We used to work together in mining and quarrying aggregates for the Aluminium Company of America.

I apologise unreservably

Start of Euro 2024

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back