• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Vinyl records

cmajack

Alan Waddle
Reaction score
Was in HMV this week and saw an Oasis album (What's the story morning glory) priced at £27.99. How the heck are the youngsters of today falling for this gimmick. As someone who has bought lots of music for 45 years , vinyl is great if you like to read sleeve notes and perhaps booklets that come with it, but for sheer convenience i wouldn't have thought they would appeal to most under 40s and at that sort of price it's a wonder they appeal to anyone.

HMV overprice a lot of things especially vinyl. As a collector I very rarely buy anything there and instead use auction groups, discogs, second hand stores and indy record stores.

cmajack said:
Was in HMV this week and saw an Oasis album (What's the story morning glory) priced at £27.99. How the heck are the youngsters of today falling for this gimmick. As someone who has bought lots of music for 45 years , vinyl is great if you like to read sleeve notes and perhaps booklets that come with it, but for sheer convenience i wouldn't have thought they would appeal to most under 40s and at that sort of price it's a wonder they appeal to anyone.

Would have to pay be 27.99 to listen to that again. Apart from ‘Cast no Shadow’ and the fun romp of ‘ She’s Electric’. The ‘Great Escape’ is rubbish too. But at least Blur made some good records later

The quality of the new vinyl records being produced now is far superior, much heavier gauge vinyl than the stuff we used to have in the 70's & 80's. On a good sound system they're excellent. Still a pain in the arse to turn them over at the end of each side though!
For kids brought up listening to play lists & not whole albums I guess they're a bit irrelevant really

Manselton Jack said:
The quality of the new vinyl records being produced now is far superior, much heavier gauge vinyl than the stuff we used to have in the 70's & 80's. On a good sound system they're excellent. Still a pain in the arse to turn them over at the end of each side though!
For kids brought up listening to play lists & not whole albums I guess they're a bit irrelevant really

You should have bought one of these ...

https://thevinylfactory.com/features/8-vertical-turntables-that-pit-vinyl-against-gravity/

I miss the artwork that made a vinyl record cover.
I miss the feeling that you’d bought something of substance.
I miss the ability to read printed lyrics without needing a powerful magnifying glass.

Yes, I’m a dinosaur.

TheLoneRanger said:
Manselton Jack said:

You should have bought one of these ...

https://thevinylfactory.com/features/8-vertical-turntables-that-pit-vinyl-against-gravity/

They're just weird 😁

karnataka said:
Darran said:
When i think of all the vinyl I sold when we moved I could cry.
Still got all mine (including "Joe's Garage" 😁)

karnataka, you're still using the wrong avatar...

My in laws just bought a brand new car and it doesnt even have a CD player. Just bluetooth.

So much for all my cassettes!

TenbySwan said:
My in laws just bought a brand new car and it doesnt even have a CD player. Just bluetooth.

So much for all my cassettes!
I remember being chuffed when I bought a car with a cd player in (although I had fitted a stand alone 6CD autochanger into the boot of the car I'd just sold) then 2 years ago bought a brand new van for work with no cd player at all and thought WTF? Changed my car last year and this one's got a single cd slot, bluetooth, 3.5mm line in and usb. I use a memory stick in the USB which has got about 60-70 Cds on it in mp3 format so far and plenty of room for more when I get round to it. Seemed like a backwards step at first but I guess I'm used to it now.

I loved the old LP’s and thought it was a disappointment when CD’s were brought out because the covers of the albums were always a big part of the listening experience for me. Especially when you had double or even triple albums to listen to and plenty of sleeve notes. The artwork of Roger Dean on all the Yes albums was great as were many others. Cassettes, on the other hand, were a pain in the neck. Very often they would jam up your tape deck and a lot of hiss on the sound. Biggest problem with vinyl is playing it in the car, no matter how gently you drove, it would always jump. 😜

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back