• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

The Swansea Way!!

TerryPHELAN

First Team Player
Reaction score
This eroded years ago, probably started by Gary Monk actually, so for fans to still be going on about The Swansea Way smacks of arrogance in my eyes.
Ben Cabango on Saturday couldn’t hit a pass to his own player who was only 5 yards away. This teams definition of triangular football is little one twos between Grimes, On of the centre backs and Rushworth. As for movement, I’ve seen snails move faster in treacle.
Forget the Swansea Way, let’s just start doing the basic things right!

TerryPHELAN said:
This eroded years ago, probably started by Gary Monk actually, so for fans to still be going on about The Swansea Way smacks of arrogance in my eyes.
Ben Cabango on Saturday couldn’t hit a pass to his own player who was only 5 yards away. This teams definition of triangular football is little one twos between Grimes, On of the centre backs and Rushworth. As for movement, I’ve seen snails move faster in treacle.

To me, the Swansea Way was 11 players who were always available for the pass, brave on the ball and were willing to run themselves into the ground for 90minutes.
Win, lose or draw the boys gave it their all, the crowd were happy and success followed.
Not rocket science and not arrogance to want that imo

TerryPHELAN said:

We were playing far better football in Div 1 under Martinez. That's the style ( whatever you want to call it ) I'm yearning for, basics being a part of it.

swansvalleyjack said:
We were playing far better football in Div 1 under Martinez. That's the style ( whatever you want to call it ) I'm yearning for, basics being a part of it.

The advanced skills (such as the 1-2's into space simply knowing your team mate will be moving there) only come with time and confidence.
People forget that when Martinez came here performances got worse before they got better, however what he was trying to do was tangible unlike with Duff where no one knew what his endgame was (or if he even had one)

swansvalleyjack said:

I don't want much. Just something like the 5-1 defeat of QPR on the opening day of Laudrup's first season, or the first half display from the 3-1 home game against WBA that season. But every game. That's all. :lol:

LeonWasTheDog's said:
I don't want much. Just something like the 5-1 defeat of QPR on the opening day of Laudrup's first season, or the first half display from the 3-1 home game against WBA that season. But every game. That's all. :lol:

5-0 you mean ;) but yes our football did reach its peak under Laudrup

Leon Britton was central to the “Swansea way” imo, Grimes is a poor mans imitation.

Leon certainly master minded the style.
Not sure why you would want to deride Grimes.

Baron Goblet said:
Leon certainly master minded the style.
Not sure why you would want to deride Grimes.

Because the Grimes/Britton role is the most important position on the pitch if you want play a fast possession style of play.

scfc1912 said:
Leon Britton was central to the “Swansea way” imo, Grimes is a poor mans imitation.

agreed,
and remember when Clement refused to play him week in week out, until my letter went viral?

Even then in Leon's final years as a player he was faster and intelligent on the ball than anyone else in our squad, and Clement for some reason refused to play him, or start him even.

Why can't some managers just see the bleeding obvious.

I really don't think it's "arrogant" to point out that we once had something that really worked for us within our budgets and for a club of our size, and it could be done again if the club was being run properly.

It wasn't complicated, what we did.

We had a chairman with a vision. Who picked a string of good coaches that fitted that vision. And we had a good scouting network that allowed us to pick up good players that suited our budget and fitted the way we wanted to play.

It was not rocket science. It was just joined up thinking.

No one will ever tell me it can't be done again, or that we're living in the past, or we have unrealistic expectations - that sort of talk is weapons grade bollocks.

We just need to get back to being a functional, joined up, slickly operated club. I don't think it'll happen under this ownership unfortunately, although we live in hope. But it could definitely happen again with the right people at the helm. Never let anyone tell you otherwise. It's the language of defeatists.

Andrew - North Hill said:
I really don't think it's "arrogant" to point out that we once had something that really worked for us within our budgets and for a club of our size, and it could be done again if the club was being run properly.

We had a chairman with a vision. Who picked a string of good coaches that fitted that vision. And we had a good scouting network that allowed us to pick up good players that suited our budget and fitted the way we wanted to play.

No one will ever tell me it can't be done again, or that we're living in the past, or we have unrealistic expectations - that sort of talk is weapons grade bollocks.

We just need to get back to being a functional, joined up, slickly operated club. I don't think it'll happen under this ownership unfortunately, although we live in hope. But it could definitely happen again with the right people at the helm. Never let anyone tell you otherwise. It's the language of defeatists.

And when it does work, the total is greater than the sum if it’s parts, we’re able to punch above our weight and overachieve and the fans are entertained by their heroes.
Potter had us on that path, as did Martin in my opinion. They just weren’t lucky enough to have a core of Ash, Leon, Rangel and Dyer.

Mork said:
And when it does work, the total is greater than the sum if it’s parts, we’re able to punch above our weight and overachieve and the fans are entertained by their heroes.
Potter had us on that path, as did Martin in my opinion. They just weren’t lucky enough to have a core of Ash, Leon, Rangel and Dyer.

Yes, and that last bit feeds back in to the point about being clever within our budgets. That little lot cost next to nothing. Along with one or two others we managed to retain, we were able to keep them all around without breaking the bank and so we were able to give it a good go. Nowadays, we just flog anyone like that, because the club is running at significant losses. Because it's not being run properly.

Doom loop.

Andrew - North Hill said:

The problem is Andrew. We have a fanbase full of pessimists who couldn’t quite sit comfortably in that period when we were flying high. The amount of “Spanish waiter” posts at the time and general cynicism over a free flowing approach was palpable.

I know if we get the right fit and they’re given time to get the right personnel it will happen again. Maybe not to the levels we saw but it can happen again.

Pragmatic football is the past. It’s done you need to move forward. A football philosophy is important.

rockinj said:
The problem is Andrew. We have a fanbase full of pessimists who couldn’t quite sit comfortably in that period when we were flying high. The amount of “Spanish waiter” posts at the time and general cynicism over a free flowing approach was palpable.

I know if we get the right fit and they’re given time to get the right personnel it will happen again. Maybe not to the levels we saw but it can happen again.

Pragmatic football is the past. It’s done you need to move forward. A football philosophy is important.

We had some thick cvnts following us back in the day. That hasn't changed.

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back