• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Rhondda Tunnel Society

jack_lord

Alan Waddle
Reaction score
Anyone a member of it and got any info on it. Sounds crazy that it is there.

You don’t have to dig a tunnel to get out of the Rhondda. There’s roads and stuff nowadays.

Google is your best friend.👍
https://www.rhonddatunnelsociety.co.uk/

I'm hoping for local input and knowledge. I went up to Blaencwm today and the future video looks a lot better. Well done Martin Roberts

I am originally from Treherbert, and i have previously walked through the tunnel as a kid not long after they closed the line down.

I can see the benefit as a tourist attraction, you could cycle from Afan Argoed through and potentially do a cycle track to join up with the Taff Trail at Pontypridd, but the money needed would be huge there is no way that RCT or NPT councils would be putting money into this.

The tunnel society are very keen and seem nice people but they are deluded if they think this will happen.

I think it was the second longest railway tunnel in Wales or possibly the UK at one time.

Pacemaker said:
I can see the benefit as a tourist attraction........

...... but the money needed would be huge there is no way that RCT or NPT councils would be putting money into this.

The tunnel society are very keen and seem nice people but they are deluded if they think this will happen.

You could say they've got tunnel vision.

Pacemaker said:
I am originally from Treherbert, and i have previously walked through the tunnel as a kid not long after they closed the line down.

I can see the benefit as a tourist attraction, you could cycle from Afan Argoed through and potentially do a cycle track to join up with the Taff Trail at Pontypridd, but the money needed would be huge there is no way that RCT or NPT councils would be putting money into this.

I think it was the second longest railway tunnel in Wales or possibly the UK at one time.
I listened to a figure of 12 million. There were lots of lottery grants/funding possibilities which is the only way it will get done. If it does then bravo to all involved and with the Zip lines going up at Tower colliery then there is a big tourist pull. I stood at the top of Blaencwm and was surrounded by the hills - very different to surrounded by the see but still quite awesome.

jack_lord said:
I listened to a figure of 12 million. There were lots of lottery grants/funding possibilities which is the only way it will get done. If it does then bravo to all involved and with the Zip lines going up at Tower colliery then there is a big tourist pull. I stood at the top of Blaencwm and was surrounded by the hills - very different to surrounded by the see but still quite awesome.

There is a fantastic view from Pen Y Pych the mountain that stands above Blaencwm looking down the valley, however Natural Resources Wales have shut down the footpath as they don’t have the resources to pay for the upkeep of the path. Just goes to show how little money is spent in the valleys particularly when you consider the potential for tourism that would benefit many areas of S Wales.

I think the problem for the society is ensuring the ongoing maintenance of the tunnel can be found, this is likley to be a significant sum.

I was a member for a couple of years but not anymore. I bought into the idea at the beginning but soon realised its just a publicity stunt for the organisers. It’ll never happen!!

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back