• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Have faith in Cooper, it could pay dividends

PSumbler

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Keith Haynes shares his thoughts on the work of Steve Cooper and believes that if we are patient then it could pay dividends

It’s June 2019 and Swansea City once again find themselves having to announce a new manager to their expectant public. Within weeks of the Championship season concluding Graeme Potter had left The Liberty after a reasonable season at the helm to move on to Premier League Brighton.

Read more at this link

2019-11-26T183834Z_1730780894_RC26JD9PQX6T_RTRMADP_3_SOCCER-ENGLAND-HDD-SWA-REPORT-scaled.jpg

Will fall on deaf ears for most as they have already made their minds up about him.

Getting into the playoffs with a weakened and young squad just isn't good enough for some...

JesusJack said:
Will fall on deaf ears for most as they have already made their minds up about him.

Getting into the playoffs with a weakened and young squad just isn't good enough for some...

Wrong, most of us want him to succeed as we are loyal supporters of the team he manages.

We just want our team to be better, yes some people, including myself, go over the top now and again as he seems to male basic errors, errors that even the layman can see.

I agree with keith, we do need to stick with him but the board need to let him sign experienced players and not let him rely on his ex youth players, if they do we will get stronger and stronger, possibly going one better than last season which imo was a freak finish to a season.

JesusJack said:

With you 100%

The stick Cooper gets is totally unfair.

Seems loads on here are still crying over Potter who failed to make the play offs with a far better squad.

Good for us at the moment due to his contacts and our reliance on using the loan market.

I'm not convinced by him yet though, nowhere near.

Fireboy said:
JesusJack said:

Wrong, most of us want him to succeed as we are loyal supporters of the team he manages.

We just want our team to be better, yes some people, including myself, go over the top now and again as he seems to male basic errors, errors that even the layman can see.

I agree with keith, we do need to stick with him but the board need to let him sign experienced players and not let him rely on his ex youth players, if they do we will get stronger and stronger, possibly going one better than last season which imo was a freak finish to a season.

' ... but the board need to make him sign experienced players ... ' and must make him improve as a manager to be able to get them performing.

Badlands said:
Fireboy said:

' ... but the board need to make him sign experienced players ... ' and must make him improve as a manager to be able to get them performing.

My biggest problem was him not making changes at the right time last season, he seemed scared. What I will say is against Preston when they started to get on top he made the change with Routledge and I thought it worked out pretty well. He was forced with the Fulton move, but overall I thought we managed the game out well.

Looking forward to seeing us at home Saturday, I'm hoping we will be a bit more expansive and look more dangerous in final third.

Keith Haynes obviously doesn’t know swans fans, I would rather see a good attacking performance than what we saw last season. Cooper reminds me of paint by numbers. It’s too regimented , we couldn’t counter attack if the other team were off the pitch.we will have to stick with him because changing managers all the time does not work. COYS

Madridjack said:
Keith Haynes obviously doesn’t know swans fans, I would rather see a good attacking performance than what we saw last season. Cooper reminds me of paint by numbers. It’s too regimented , we couldn’t counter attack if the other team were off the pitch.we will have to stick with him because changing managers all the time does not work. COYS

In fairness he's always had a decent handle on Swans fans and often presents a balanced view. Cooper does get unwarranted stick at times (not saying some of it isn't justified) but whilst some will say they want to see attacking football all the time there will be many more where it is just win at all costs.

For all the scathing of say a Warnock side if he was here and got us promoted do you think the loudest voices would be those complaining of the style or those celebrating the football?

(I should add this is not me saying I want Warnock here... :lol: )

PSumbler said:
Madridjack said:
Keith Haynes obviously doesn’t know swans fans, I would rather see a good attacking performance than what we saw last season. Cooper reminds me of paint by numbers. It’s too regimented , we couldn’t counter attack if the other team were off the pitch.we will have to stick with him because changing managers all the time does not work. COYSk

In fairness he's always had a decent handle on Swans fans and often presents a balanced view. Cooper does get unwarranted stick at times (not saying some of it isn't justified) but whilst some will say they want to see attacking football all the time there will be many more where it is just win at all costs.

For all the scathing of say a Warnock side if he was here and got us promoted do you think the loudest voices would be those complaining of the style or those celebrating the football?

(I should add this is not me saying I want Warnock here... :lol: )

If Cooper hadn’t have lost Van see Hoof we would have been playing Pullisball this season. If Steve could, he would.

We do know that he's very good at making PowerPoint presentations in interviews: the jury's still out for me on his actual managerial skills.

A newspaper article at the weekend pointed out that some of the best players in the Premier League were also near the top of the stats for losing possession when passing the ball, and Kevin De Bruyne was given as an example - he was near the top of the list for conceding intercepted passes but also near the top of the list for assists and goals. The reporter made the point that "Hollywood passes" or long balls are a worthwhile tactic to keep in your armoury even if they usually give the ball to the opposition, but Cooper wouldn't agree with that in a million years.

But I also agree that he deserves a full season to see how he and the team develop.

Glyn1 said:
A newspaper article at the weekend pointed out that some of the best players in the Premier League were also near the top of the stats for losing possession when passing the ball, and Kevin De Bruyne was given as an example - he was near the top of the list for conceding intercepted passes but also near the top of the list for assists and goals.

High risk, high reward. Low risk, low reward. Cooper is largely cut from the same cloth as Clement in that tactically he's a coward. His teams take fewer risks because somebody on a coaching course once told him that teams who retain 87.652% of possession concede 25.3% fewer chances in the final third of the pitch, or some other stats based bollocks that's grown exponentially since everyone watched Moneyball.

I am being slightly facetious there but it's the kind of thinking that seems to have increased since it was decided somewhere by someone that managing was something you could do if you had enough qualifications rather than something you instinctively knew how to do or not.

Dr. Winston said:
Glyn1 said:
A newspaper article at the weekend pointed out that some of the best players in the Premier League were also near the top of the stats for losing possession when passing the ball, and Kevin De Bruyne was given as an example - he was near the top of the list for conceding intercepted passes but also near the top of the list for assists and goals.

High risk, high reward. Low risk, low reward. Cooper is largely cut from the same cloth as Clement in that tactically he's a coward. His teams take fewer risks because somebody on a coaching course once told him that teams who retain 87.652% of possession concede 25.3% fewer chances in the final third of the pitch, or some other stats based bollocks that's grown exponentially since everyone watched Moneyball.

I am being slightly facetious there but it's the kind of thinking that seems to have increased since it was decided somewhere by someone that managing was something you could do if you had enough qualifications rather than something you instinctively knew how to do or not.

This Andy Scott fella relies on stats for his signings, he's pretty much the UK version of the Moneyball guy we had here a few years back.

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back