• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Childhood bands-being cool v reality

Professor

Tommy Hutchison
Reaction score
As Darran posted a picture of the naughty Mr Gadd and T Rex being played in the interval at Echo & the Bunnymen last night it made me reflect.

It would be cool to say that as a 5-6 year old in Cimla we all loved Bolan and Bowie but the reality was we really liked Glitter, Slade and the Sweet. Now I would only listen to Bowie and pretend we all loved Starman on TOTP.

Anyone else-Hermann's Hermits over the Stones? Steps over Oasis?

I did quite like Bowie as we had Hunky Dory in the family van.

I listened to Jesus Jones more than Stone Roses. It would probably be the reverse today. Definitely.

I listened to Jesus Jones more than Stone Roses. It would probably be the reverse today. Definitely.
Other way round for me-got very bored of the Roses but Jesus Jones annoyed me intensely at 89/90 festivals. Jesus Jones also had two top five singles in the US in fairness. Now 'Info Freako' you say?

I liked the first two minutes of practically every Bowie song I've ever heard. But the subsequent minutes I usually find a bit of a trial.

T-Rex were much the same, though most of their songs were practically indistinguishable.

Anyway, excuse me, that's not what was asked.

I also fell into the category of listening to Glitter, Slade, Sweet, but I still enjoy them (not so much Glitter, though Rock 'n' Roll (part 1) remains a banging tune).

Slade before Led Zep 100%, but Beethoven before anything Glitter (thank you Clockwork Orange)

Being a teenager in the 60’s I feel that most music of that era was good.
Strangely, I was never a fan of jazz back then, but I came to my senses. 😁

I remember getting up and bopping with all my school friends to 'Leader of the Gang' at my 18th birthday party in Port Talbot Gas Club in 1973. It was a gas, man.
Not the kind of music we took seriously then, that was the likes of Zeppelin and Yes, but good for strutting your stuff when sh*tfaced.

ELP , Pictures at an Exhibition , music teacher in the early 70s was a bit , say odd , but he got given the 33 rpm vinyl as a try out by one of the other pupils .

Played it to our class , loved it . Mussorsky adapted my Keith Emerson and The Band .

Over 50 years later from that event , still got both versions on my tracklist , vinyl gone alas . but what a sound .

Also brought in Gustav Holst , The Planets Suite , still snigger to myself when that music is a quiz question , the answer is Mars , of course .

Got to be done

Shame indie Club was a one off
Coincidentally, I'm going to see The Fast Show Live tomorrow night in Bristol with all the original cast apart from the sadly departed Caroline Aherne so no 'Scorchio'. Birthday present from my son who has really got into TFS in the last few years. 👍😁😂

Last edited:

Norwich City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back