• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Season ticket renewal

I find articulating the reasons I've stopped going down a depressing experience. I try not to think about it too much, as that realisation hurts.

I'm trying not to be melodramatic about this, but this thread...in the same way people say about the benefits of therapy, reading how fellow fans feel, previously fanatical supporters at that, is enabling me to open up to my own guilt (and that feels like the most appropriate term I can use) about not having attended for the last 2-3 seasons.

Since being taken down to the Vetch aged 5, in 1962 by my father and grandfather, the love and passion for the club/team was intense, all consuming. I described it recently to a decades long, Swans fan friend. Saying the Swans have been the only thing in my life, that has been with me all my life, nothing, or no-one else has. So in choosing not to attend, even though I still buy my season ticket, I can't help the feeling I'm betraying what the Swans have given me for over 60 years.

The bond the Swans gave me with my father and grandfather when growing up was a huge part of our relationships. I didn't have a child, a son, until aged 38, and I yearned to create that bond with him too. I took him down to the Vetch when we were 6 points adrift of safety, and heading for the Vauxhall Conference (as it was) January 25th 2003. We beat play-off positioned Lincoln City that day and sharing those tumultuous days with him, in escaping the drop, formed that ongoing love for the Swans from him too. Again, the same life-long, the greatest gift, my dad gave me, I was able to pass on to my son too.

People say about 'the gift that keeps on giving,' being indoctrinated into the 'Swans family' is certainly one of those.

I agree with so many points raised by fellow posters in this thread. Quite a few appear to be of a similar age and have experienced all the same highs and lows. Monmouth's descriptive post was excellent, echoing many of my sentiments. And Darren's point about enjoying the experience with his grandson, made me think how that may well encourage me back to the .Com some day. But at the moment Swans TV is my focal point on matchdays.

I suppose I feel, in not going, I'm letting people down. A bunch of friends who I've sat beside in the West since the stadium opened in 2005. My son, because I'm not going down I feel the 'experience' for him isn't the same either, in not celebrating together, maintaining that bond, when crucial goals are scored. The club too, my plans and lifestyle centred on the fixture list, but nowhere near to the same extent now.

Is it an age thing, I don't know, but football first grabbed me by the gonads because of the entertainment value. That is very much a secondary (third?) objective now. Not just with the Swans, but football in general...did you witness the 'cowardly' Man. Utd performance yesterday? The matchday experience doesn't inspire anywhere near to the same extent anymore.

We've been spoiled folks, we've been there and done it. It's like I'm grieving, for those past days, even when we were shit, but when it all excited/inspired me to want to go next time again...but certainly not at the moment.

I find articulating the reasons I've stopped going down a depressing experience. I try not to think about it too much, as that realisation hurts.

I'm trying not to be melodramatic about this, but this thread...in the same way people say about the benefits of therapy, reading how fellow fans feel, previously fanatical supporters at that, is enabling me to open up to my own guilt (and that feels like the most appropriate term I can use) about not having attended for the last 2-3 seasons.

Since being taken down to the Vetch aged 5, in 1962 by my father and grandfather, the love and passion for the club/team was intense, all consuming. I described it recently to a decades long, Swans fan friend. Saying the Swans have been the only thing in my life, that has been with me all my life, nothing, or no-one else has. So in choosing not to attend, even though I still buy my season ticket, I can't help the feeling I'm betraying what the Swans have given me for over 60 years.

The bond the Swans gave me with my father and grandfather when growing up was a huge part of our relationships. I didn't have a child, a son, until aged 38, and I yearned to create that bond with him too. I took him down to the Vetch when we were 6 points adrift of safety, and heading for the Vauxhall Conference (as it was) January 25th 2003. We beat play-off positioned Lincoln City that day and sharing those tumultuous days with him, in escaping the drop, formed that ongoing love for the Swans from him too. Again, the same life-long, the greatest gift, my dad gave me, I was able to pass on to my son too.

People say about 'the gift that keeps on giving,' being indoctrinated into the 'Swans family' is certainly one of those.

I agree with so many points raised by fellow posters in this thread. Quite a few appear to be of a similar age and have experienced all the same highs and lows. Monmouth's descriptive post was excellent, echoing many of my sentiments. And Darren's point about enjoying the experience with his grandson, made me think how that may well encourage me back to the .Com some day. But at the moment Swans TV is my focal point on matchdays.

I suppose I feel, in not going, I'm letting people down. A bunch of friends who I've sat beside in the West since the stadium opened in 2005. My son, because I'm not going down I feel the 'experience' for him isn't the same either, in not celebrating together, maintaining that bond, when crucial goals are scored. The club too, my plans and lifestyle centred on the fixture list, but nowhere near to the same extent now.

Is it an age thing, I don't know, but football first grabbed me by the gonads because of the entertainment value. That is very much a secondary (third?) objective now. Not just with the Swans, but football in general...did you witness the 'cowardly' Man. Utd performance yesterday? The matchday experience doesn't inspire anywhere near to the same extent anymore.

We've been spoiled folks, we've been there and done it. It's like I'm grieving, for those past days, even when we were shit, but when it all excited/inspired me to want to go next time again...but certainly not at the moment.

Brilliant post.

"Is it an age thing"

That's the thing we can't quantify.

I'm sure it's a bit of "we've seen and done it", but then again I enjoyed, if you can call it that, even in the lower divisions.

So I've seen the bottom to top twice, so maybe the excitement isn't the same.

Personally I think some things in life become more important, and takes preference.

The last few seasons has seen me see less and less live games even though I was there on Saturday. It's still more about the shared experiences with my two sons.

Deep down the interest is still there but it's head ruling heart due to poor 'product'

The only thing I'd add to that is that we used to just go out and try and beat other teams with mostly local players. That's another reason I got hooked. It was really 'my Swansea' against whoever - even if they weren't actually from Swansea, it felt like a local team. A few of the players were in school with mates too, and when I bumped into Curt, Robbie and Charlo in the Bay View one night after promotion they offered me a pint...I was too starstruck to accept 😁.

It felt the same from 2003-2016 before we realised it was all built on sand and a lie. Now it's all openly league tables, premier league or nowhere, and money, money ******* money. Football (and sport in general) has become a monster.

The only thing I'd add to that is that we used to just go out and try and beat other teams with mostly local players. That's another reason I got hooked. It was really 'my Swansea' against whoever - even if they weren't actually from Swansea, it felt like a local team. A few of the players were in school with mates too, and when I bumped into Curt, Robbie and Charlo in the Bay View one night after promotion they offered me a pint...I was too starstruck to accept 😁.

It felt the same from 2003-2016 before we realised it was all built on sand and a lie. Now it's all openly league tables, premier league or nowhere, and money, money ******* money. Football (and sport in general) has become a monster.
Absolutely agree at one time there were locals in the team some we had been in school with had played football with or against...money changed the game Murdoch et al made things different....how many British players are in the PL now....the days if local lads getting through are a distant memeory

Personally I think some things in life become more important, and takes preference.

Ive always believed there are two things that started to make me less "passionate" about watching games

1. The last few years in the Premier league were hard. We had degenerated from a side that was admired and tried to win games to one that just seemed grateful for their invite to the top table. Instead of trying to win games we moved to a routine of making sure we didn't lose by too many. Games became non enjoyable as we did not want to win them. Couple that with games moved to Saturday lunchtimes, Saturday evenings, Sunday afternoon (early or late) or the occasional Monday night meant that we had a bigger exposure on TV and frankly if the team didn't want to try and win a game then why would anyone want to try and watch them?
2. Covid. Football shut down, people took stock and frankly many found other things to do on a Saturday afternoon. More enjoyable things and more important things. Like @TimBowen said above I go because I have had the same seat for almost 20 years but I don't always know who will be there that is in the same boat in the same way that they don't always know that I will be there.

You can throw in the ownership as well who frankly don't really care about Swansea (despite their protestations etc) and a group of players who will be happy taking their £ at the end of every week not worrying too much about the result so long as there is a pay packet.

Add those things together and throw in the fact that we have been dull as dishwater to watch for a few years and it is no real surprise that people feel the way that they do. And that plays itself into posts on forums (or lack of them in many cases) and other platforms - there is a different generation watching us now so the club will always have a place but I'm more detached from this club than I have ever been and I really don't see that changing at any point in the future.

Ive always believed there are two things that started to make me less "passionate" about watching games

1. The last few years in the Premier league were hard. We had degenerated from a side that was admired and tried to win games to one that just seemed grateful for their invite to the top table. Instead of trying to win games we moved to a routine of making sure we didn't lose by too many. Games became non enjoyable as we did not want to win them. Couple that with games moved to Saturday lunchtimes, Saturday evenings, Sunday afternoon (early or late) or the occasional Monday night meant that we had a bigger exposure on TV and frankly if the team didn't want to try and win a game then why would anyone want to try and watch them?
2. Covid. Football shut down, people took stock and frankly many found other things to do on a Saturday afternoon. More enjoyable things and more important things. Like @TimBowen said above I go because I have had the same seat for almost 20 years but I don't always know who will be there that is in the same boat in the same way that they don't always know that I will be there.

You can throw in the ownership as well who frankly don't really care about Swansea (despite their protestations etc) and a group of players who will be happy taking their £ at the end of every week not worrying too much about the result so long as there is a pay packet.

Add those things together and throw in the fact that we have been dull as dishwater to watch for a few years and it is no real surprise that people feel the way that they do. And that plays itself into posts on forums (or lack of them in many cases) and other platforms - there is a different generation watching us now so the club will always have a place but I'm more detached from this club than I have ever been and I really don't see that changing at any point in the future.
Also don't think average players earning stupid money with absolutely no loyalty to their team. They kiss the badge knowing full well if anyone comes in with a fatter pay packet They will be off. Also players throwing themselves to the floor as if they have been shot, it's nonsense and completely spoils the game.

Agree with all of that. It's my club and always will be, but for all the reasons that have been mentioned the club isn't the club that I've supported for one hell of a long time.

The world is changing and maybe time for a different generation , who knows.

I've just had a lunchtime pub meet up with ex workmates.

It could have been a re-run of Last of The Sumer Wine.

It will always be my club, but for all reasons and thoughts given by other posters all adds up, it still 'hurts' not to be there.

But whether you say, I don't want to be a mug and travel 300 mile round trip or various other reasons the pull isn't there as much now.

I just hope it comes back to some sort of enjoyable level, as it's been a large part of my life.

I’ve been a fan all my life, and I’m 71 in a few months time, so that’s been through bad times, worse times, good times even worse times and wonderful times.
Due to changes of working days I didn’t get to see any of the First Division games and struggled to get the enthusiasm back after we got relegated and the slide began.
Work intervened even for the playoff final and I decided that I would try to get to as many home games as possible, away games were just too much time out of my life along with working long hours.
A change in working days then helped and I got a season ticket, after quite a while applying. Since my retirement though my passion returned.
I look forward to every game apart from walking to and from the stadium in the cold and rain.
I agree with many that it’s not our club that we started out following all those years ago but it is still called Swansea City (Swansea Town when I first started supporting) and I can’t not carry on supporting. Neither of my sons are football fans so I have to keep the family involvement going as long as possible and my grandfather and father can look down and be proud (hopefully 😉) 🦢

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back