Season 21/22 The Official Swans v Boro Match Thread

The Matchday threads have become somewhat of a legend on Planet Swans. Here, we keep them all for posterity, watch how forum posters react as our games materialise.

Moderator: jackharris

What will the result be against Middlesboro

Poll ended at 23 Apr 2022 20:41

Swans win
48%
Draw
22%
Boro win
30%

Total votes: 140

Longlostjack
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Season 21/22 The Official Swans v Boro Match Thread

Unread post by Longlostjack »

This season has been frustrating. I think if we‘d cut out the silly mistakes we could have challenged for play-offs. Martin must take some of the blame by being too stubborn. He sticks to his principles and should have done more game management using the skills of the players that he’s got to work with. Can’t remember which game but we were down to 10 men switched to four at the back and didn’t concede. We‘ve squandered points. On the other hand I do see what he‘s trying to do and it’s much more entertaining and ultimately will probably be more successful. I‘ll get off the fence now and start picking the splinters out of my arse.

karnataka
Posts in topic: 3

Unread post by karnataka »

Longlostjack wrote:
23 Apr 2022 21:01
This season has been frustrating. I think if we‘d cut out the silly mistakes we could have challenged for play-offs. Martin must take some of the blame by being too stubborn. He sticks to his principles and should have done more game management using the skills of the players that he’s got to work with. Can’t remember which game but we were down to 10 men switched to four at the back and didn’t concede. We‘ve squandered points. On the other hand I do see what he‘s trying to do and it’s much more entertaining and ultimately will probably be more successful. I‘ll get off the fence now and start picking the splinters out of my arse.
Think the game you mentioned was against Blackburn early Feb. We were 1 up with a first half Obafemi header and Manning got sent off in the second. We changed formation and shut them out.
Life is a strange thing: just when you think you've learned how to use it, it's gone.

karnataka
Posts in topic: 3

Unread post by karnataka »

One thing I noticed yesterday, which may or may not be significant, and that was twice in the first half, Flynn Downes was our furthest forward player each time popping up in their box in a scoring position. I can't recall him doing that in the whole season before yesterday so RM must have told him to do it as he doesn't normally like players breaking our shape and I can't see Downes wilfully doing something that isn't in Plan A.
Life is a strange thing: just when you think you've learned how to use it, it's gone.