Season 20/21: Swansea City v Preston Match Thread

The Matchday threads have become somewhat of a legend on Planet Swans. Here, we keep them all for posterity, watch how forum posters react as our games materialise.

Moderator: jackharris

What will the result be against Preston?

Poll ended at 05 Apr 2021 22:19

Swans win
59
18%
Draw
48
15%
Preston win
215
67%
 
Total votes: 322


eteb
Posts in topic: 45
Posts: 1007
Joined: 30 Dec 2020 22:03

Re: Season 20/21: Swansea City v Preston Match Thread

Unread post by eteb »

Londonlisa2001 wrote:
05 Apr 2021 20:16
Itchysphincter wrote:
05 Apr 2021 19:07


Wrong again. We can be, and have been, better.

You need to stop blaming the players or pretending they’re at their level because it obvious there is more in them. It’s up to the manager to get it out of them. This one clearly can’t.

Peculiar how some people can be lifelong football fans yet still not understand how it works.
When a player misshits a pass or fails to close down or can’t get off the floor when he’s jumping against another player or falls on the ground looking for a free kick as he has neither the pace nor the skill to get past someone it’s his fault.

I’m no Cooper fan but this bunch of players aren’t silky, talent stuffed thoroughbreds waiting to be unleashed, they’re bang average players with zero consistency. Coaching is one issue, but inate ability is another.

If they had such ability they’d have been sold alongside everyone else. A few of them could do a good job with more talent alongside them (see mark Gower) but all together there is simply no spark.

Come on mun, you don’t pick up players as a first choice from Bristol Rovers because they’re superstars in the making at 30 odd. They are good, honest professionals at this level, but that’s not what’s needed to get up, a few of the team need to be a cut above and we just don’t have them. Guehi is probably the only one.


err who did we sign from Brisol Rovers??

Amazing that Grimes, Fulton, Naughton, Roberts etc played bloody good stuff under potter isnt it



User avatar

JustJack
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 335
Joined: 28 Jun 2020 21:34

Re: Season 20/21: Swansea City v Preston Match Thread

Unread post by JustJack »

Could always be worse, imagine getting dicked 5-0 by the team bottom of the table :?

Lipstick and a pig..



User avatar

JackFish
Posts in topic: 20
Posts: 477
Joined: 30 Jun 2020 17:50

Re: Season 20/21: Swansea City v Preston Match Thread

Unread post by JackFish »

JustJack wrote:
05 Apr 2021 20:46
Could always be worse, imagine getting dicked 5-0 by the team bottom of the table :?

Lipstick and a pig..
Don’t be sad, we might get two chances to do just that next week!




Londonlisa2001
Posts in topic: 28
Posts: 317
Joined: 19 Jul 2020 12:44

Re: Season 20/21: Swansea City v Preston Match Thread

Unread post by Londonlisa2001 »

eteb wrote:
05 Apr 2021 20:28
Londonlisa2001 wrote:
05 Apr 2021 20:16


When a player misshits a pass or fails to close down or can’t get off the floor when he’s jumping against another player or falls on the ground looking for a free kick as he has neither the pace nor the skill to get past someone it’s his fault.

I’m no Cooper fan but this bunch of players aren’t silky, talent stuffed thoroughbreds waiting to be unleashed, they’re bang average players with zero consistency. Coaching is one issue, but inate ability is another.

If they had such ability they’d have been sold alongside everyone else. A few of them could do a good job with more talent alongside them (see mark Gower) but all together there is simply no spark.

Come on mun, you don’t pick up players as a first choice from Bristol Rovers because they’re superstars in the making at 30 odd. They are good, honest professionals at this level, but that’s not what’s needed to get up, a few of the team need to be a cut above and we just don’t have them. Guehi is probably the only one.


err who did we sign from Brisol Rovers??

Amazing that Grimes, Fulton, Naughton, Roberts etc played bloody good stuff under potter isnt it
Sorry - Bristol City it should have said.

Those players were surrounded by Dan James, Joe Rodon, Oli McB, Brewster, Celina etc etc etc.

Which was my point. You can have a mix of better players and ordinary players but if you continually take the better players away you will suffer. Plus players like Naughton and Routledge get older.



User avatar

Dr. Winston
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 860
Joined: 27 Jun 2020 16:36

Re: Season 20/21: Swansea City v Preston Match Thread

Unread post by Dr. Winston »

Londonlisa2001 wrote:
05 Apr 2021 21:01
Those players were surrounded by Dan James, Joe Rodon, Oli McB, Brewster, Celina etc etc etc.
The same Celina that Cooper couldn't get a tune out of and then bombed out?


"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back"


westside
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 133
Joined: 20 Jul 2020 13:44

Re: Season 20/21: Swansea City v Preston Match Thread

Unread post by westside »

westside wrote:
04 Apr 2021 02:33
we'll lose 0-1 or 1-2
:oops:




westside
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 133
Joined: 20 Jul 2020 13:44

Re: Season 20/21: Swansea City v Preston Match Thread

Unread post by westside »

westside wrote:
04 Apr 2021 02:33
we'll lose 0-1 or 1-2
:oops:



User avatar

Fireboy
Posts in topic: 20
Posts: 1680
Joined: 27 Jun 2020 16:57

Re: Season 20/21: Swansea City v Preston Match Thread

Unread post by Fireboy »

Dr. Winston wrote:
05 Apr 2021 21:09
Londonlisa2001 wrote:
05 Apr 2021 21:01
Those players were surrounded by Dan James, Joe Rodon, Oli McB, Brewster, Celina etc etc etc.
The same Celina that Cooper couldn't get a tune out of and then bombed out?
Id suspect because the skilful celina didn't play to coopers boring gameplan, the same celina who looked great under potter the season before.



User avatar

Dr. Winston
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 860
Joined: 27 Jun 2020 16:36

Re: Season 20/21: Swansea City v Preston Match Thread

Unread post by Dr. Winston »

Fireboy wrote:
05 Apr 2021 21:16
Id suspect because the skilful celina didn't play to coopers boring gameplan, the same celina who looked great under potter the season before.
Yep.

But he's a fine example of the difference a quality coach can make in a player and the folly of writing anyone off based on the performances Cooper is getting out the squad at present. The problem is the damage could take some time and money to reverse.


"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back"

User avatar

Fireboy
Posts in topic: 20
Posts: 1680
Joined: 27 Jun 2020 16:57

Re: Season 20/21: Swansea City v Preston Match Thread

Unread post by Fireboy »

Dr. Winston wrote:
05 Apr 2021 21:24
Fireboy wrote:
05 Apr 2021 21:16
Id suspect because the skilful celina didn't play to coopers boring gameplan, the same celina who looked great under potter the season before.
Yep.

But he's a fine example of the difference a quality coach can make in a player and the folly of writing anyone off based on the performances Cooper is getting out the squad at present. The problem is the damage could take some time and money to reverse.
Yes, worrying times Doc.



User avatar

Jinxy
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 736
Joined: 28 Jun 2020 09:59
Location: location, location!

Re: Season 20/21: Swansea City v Preston Match Thread

Unread post by Jinxy »

Londonlisa2001 wrote:
05 Apr 2021 20:16
Itchysphincter wrote:
05 Apr 2021 19:07


Wrong again. We can be, and have been, better.

You need to stop blaming the players or pretending they’re at their level because it obvious there is more in them. It’s up to the manager to get it out of them. This one clearly can’t.

Peculiar how some people can be lifelong football fans yet still not understand how it works.
When a player misshits a pass or fails to close down or can’t get off the floor when he’s jumping against another player or falls on the ground looking for a free kick as he has neither the pace nor the skill to get past someone it’s his fault.

I’m no Cooper fan but this bunch of players aren’t silky, talent stuffed thoroughbreds waiting to be unleashed, they’re bang average players with zero consistency. Coaching is one issue, but inate ability is another.

If they had such ability they’d have been sold alongside everyone else. A few of them could do a good job with more talent alongside them (see mark Gower) but all together there is simply no spark.

Come on mun, you don’t pick up players as a first choice from Bristol Rovers because they’re superstars in the making at 30 odd. They are good, honest professionals at this level, but that’s not what’s needed to get up, a few of the team need to be a cut above and we just don’t have them. Guehi is probably the only one.
I disagree Lisa. There have been times this season where we have played good passing football. Can't quote the exact games, but those with younger brains on here can help me out!

Our promotion team last time wasn't filled with superstars. With the greatest of respect (and I really mean that), all were damn good, hard working professionals that understood a clearly coached system, and executed it time after time. We were many, many times the sum of our parts, with coaches that 100% believed in that style of play, and transmitted that to the squad. At the moment they are significantly less the sum of their parts, in my opinion. For me, it's no coincidence that the style of play has dropped, almost in unison with the pressure and expectation having increased.

Cooper was a punt (cue rhyming comparisons!), due to his work with young players, presentation and low cost option. My view is the price possession, passing, attacking style simply doesn't run through his veins. He probably fancifully flirts with it, but his bog standard FA-esque background prohibits him from telling the players to be brave, and back them when it goes wrong, as Brendan Rogers did many times. I think Cooper has told them to pass it, but ANY doubt, play it long. They probably train well, but the match day message is don't lose it in our third, defend well, and play a longer speculative ball if danger arises.

Cooper is out of his depth, and has been promoted beyond his ability. These players are collectively capable of much, much more. I am disappointed, because earlier in the season he was showing signs of learning. As I say, the pressure has got to him.

Ps I speak as someone who's attended every home (and many away) games for decades, watching the work rates, movement etc of players off camera.



User avatar

Fireboy
Posts in topic: 20
Posts: 1680
Joined: 27 Jun 2020 16:57

Re: Season 20/21: Swansea City v Preston Match Thread

Unread post by Fireboy »

Jinxy wrote:
05 Apr 2021 21:47
Londonlisa2001 wrote:
05 Apr 2021 20:16


When a player misshits a pass or fails to close down or can’t get off the floor when he’s jumping against another player or falls on the ground looking for a free kick as he has neither the pace nor the skill to get past someone it’s his fault.

I’m no Cooper fan but this bunch of players aren’t silky, talent stuffed thoroughbreds waiting to be unleashed, they’re bang average players with zero consistency. Coaching is one issue, but inate ability is another.

If they had such ability they’d have been sold alongside everyone else. A few of them could do a good job with more talent alongside them (see mark Gower) but all together there is simply no spark.

Come on mun, you don’t pick up players as a first choice from Bristol Rovers because they’re superstars in the making at 30 odd. They are good, honest professionals at this level, but that’s not what’s needed to get up, a few of the team need to be a cut above and we just don’t have them. Guehi is probably the only one.
Cooper is out of his depth, and has been promoted beyond his ability. These players are collectively capable of much, much more. I am disappointed, because earlier in the season he was showing signs of learning. As I say, the pressure has got to him.
This This This ^



User avatar

DJack
Posts in topic: 12
Posts: 901
Joined: 27 Jun 2020 21:24

Re: Season 20/21: Swansea City v Preston Match Thread

Unread post by DJack »

Jinxy wrote:
05 Apr 2021 21:47
Londonlisa2001 wrote:
05 Apr 2021 20:16


When a player misshits a pass or fails to close down or can’t get off the floor when he’s jumping against another player or falls on the ground looking for a free kick as he has neither the pace nor the skill to get past someone it’s his fault.

I’m no Cooper fan but this bunch of players aren’t silky, talent stuffed thoroughbreds waiting to be unleashed, they’re bang average players with zero consistency. Coaching is one issue, but inate ability is another.

If they had such ability they’d have been sold alongside everyone else. A few of them could do a good job with more talent alongside them (see mark Gower) but all together there is simply no spark.

Come on mun, you don’t pick up players as a first choice from Bristol Rovers because they’re superstars in the making at 30 odd. They are good, honest professionals at this level, but that’s not what’s needed to get up, a few of the team need to be a cut above and we just don’t have them. Guehi is probably the only one.
I disagree Lisa. There have been times this season where we have played good passing football. Can't quote the exact games, but those with younger brains on here can help me out!

Our promotion team last time wasn't filled with superstars. With the greatest of respect (and I really mean that), all were damn good, hard working professionals that understood a clearly coached system, and executed it time after time. We were many, many times the sum of our parts, with coaches that 100% believed in that style of play, and transmitted that to the squad. At the moment they are significantly less the sum of their parts, in my opinion. For me, it's no coincidence that the style of play has dropped, almost in unison with the pressure and expectation having increased.

Cooper was a punt (cue rhyming comparisons!), due to his work with young players, presentation and low cost option. My view is the price possession, passing, attacking style simply doesn't run through his veins. He probably fancifully flirts with it, but his bog standard FA-esque background prohibits him from telling the players to be brave, and back them when it goes wrong, as Brendan Rogers did many times. I think Cooper has told them to pass it, but ANY doubt, play it long. They probably train well, but the match day message is don't lose it in our third, defend well, and play a longer speculative ball if danger arises.

Cooper is out of his depth, and has been promoted beyond his ability. These players are collectively capable of much, much more. I am disappointed, because earlier in the season he was showing signs of learning. As I say, the pressure has got to him.

Ps I speak as someone who's attended every home (and many away) games for decades, watching the work rates, movement etc of players off camera.
good post, buddy.



User avatar

monmouth
Posts in topic: 39
Posts: 1402
Joined: 09 Jul 2020 17:04

Re: Season 20/21: Swansea City v Preston Match Thread

Unread post by monmouth »

Jinxy wrote:
05 Apr 2021 21:47
Londonlisa2001 wrote:
05 Apr 2021 20:16


When a player misshits a pass or fails to close down or can’t get off the floor when he’s jumping against another player or falls on the ground looking for a free kick as he has neither the pace nor the skill to get past someone it’s his fault.

I’m no Cooper fan but this bunch of players aren’t silky, talent stuffed thoroughbreds waiting to be unleashed, they’re bang average players with zero consistency. Coaching is one issue, but inate ability is another.

If they had such ability they’d have been sold alongside everyone else. A few of them could do a good job with more talent alongside them (see mark Gower) but all together there is simply no spark.

Come on mun, you don’t pick up players as a first choice from Bristol Rovers because they’re superstars in the making at 30 odd. They are good, honest professionals at this level, but that’s not what’s needed to get up, a few of the team need to be a cut above and we just don’t have them. Guehi is probably the only one.
I disagree Lisa. There have been times this season where we have played good passing football. Can't quote the exact games, but those with younger brains on here can help me out!

Our promotion team last time wasn't filled with superstars. With the greatest of respect (and I really mean that), all were damn good, hard working professionals that understood a clearly coached system, and executed it time after time. We were many, many times the sum of our parts, with coaches that 100% believed in that style of play, and transmitted that to the squad. At the moment they are significantly less the sum of their parts, in my opinion. For me, it's no coincidence that the style of play has dropped, almost in unison with the pressure and expectation having increased.

Cooper was a punt (cue rhyming comparisons!), due to his work with young players, presentation and low cost option. My view is the price possession, passing, attacking style simply doesn't run through his veins. He probably fancifully flirts with it, but his bog standard FA-esque background prohibits him from telling the players to be brave, and back them when it goes wrong, as Brendan Rogers did many times. I think Cooper has told them to pass it, but ANY doubt, play it long. They probably train well, but the match day message is don't lose it in our third, defend well, and play a longer speculative ball if danger arises.

Cooper is out of his depth, and has been promoted beyond his ability. These players are collectively capable of much, much more. I am disappointed, because earlier in the season he was showing signs of learning. As I say, the pressure has got to him.

Ps I speak as someone who's attended every home (and many away) games for decades, watching the work rates, movement etc of players off camera.
Excellent



User avatar

Itchysphincter
Posts in topic: 18
Posts: 1422
Joined: 27 Jun 2020 17:12

Re: Season 20/21: Swansea City v Preston Match Thread

Unread post by Itchysphincter »

eteb wrote:
05 Apr 2021 20:28
Londonlisa2001 wrote:
05 Apr 2021 20:16


When a player misshits a pass or fails to close down or can’t get off the floor when he’s jumping against another player or falls on the ground looking for a free kick as he has neither the pace nor the skill to get past someone it’s his fault.

I’m no Cooper fan but this bunch of players aren’t silky, talent stuffed thoroughbreds waiting to be unleashed, they’re bang average players with zero consistency. Coaching is one issue, but inate ability is another.

If they had such ability they’d have been sold alongside everyone else. A few of them could do a good job with more talent alongside them (see mark Gower) but all together there is simply no spark.

Come on mun, you don’t pick up players as a first choice from Bristol Rovers because they’re superstars in the making at 30 odd. They are good, honest professionals at this level, but that’s not what’s needed to get up, a few of the team need to be a cut above and we just don’t have them. Guehi is probably the only one.


err who did we sign from Brisol Rovers??

Amazing that Grimes, Fulton, Naughton, Roberts etc played bloody good stuff under potter isnt it
I get where Lisa’s coming from with the Corey Smith thing but there is more than one type of recruitment. I wouldn’t argue that Smith is the missing piece of a jigsaw but every squad needs numbers, filler if you like, so he fits that recruitment model. The likes of Guehi, Bennet, Whittaker, Manning, Morris, Hourihane are brought in to improve and lift a squad, supplementing the perceived quality of Grimes, Fulton, Roberts, Ayew, Lowe, etc, so to suggest we are a team of bang average journeymen is disingenuous.

A good manager can make this particular group of players look ten times better, this one is making them less than the sum of their parts.

I’ve argued for a long time, and gained myself a few admirers on the other board because of it, that results catch up with performances. I’ve been proven right yet again. Obviously.


jack123 wrote:
06 Dec 2020 21:08
:lol: :lol: :lol: You should seek therapy, with thoughts like you have.. Dr P is the best thing since sliced bread.

Post Reply