Season 20/21: Swansea City v Preston Match Thread

The Matchday threads have become somewhat of a legend on Planet Swans. Here, we keep them all for posterity, watch how forum posters react as our games materialise.

Moderator: jackharris

What will the result be against Preston?

Poll ended at 05 Apr 2021 22:19

Swans win
18%
Draw
15%
Preston win
67%

Total votes: 322

MrSwerve
Posts in topic: 27

Re: Season 20/21: Swansea City v Preston Match Thread

Unread post by MrSwerve »

I haven’t even looked at the table.

We’re in the playoffs but the life has been sucked out of me.

bakajack
Posts in topic: 10

Unread post by bakajack »

The fact that we had more shots on target against the Swansea goal than the Preston goal says everything for me.

Its like the team is terrified to create, so much training and drilling has gone into what to do without the ball that we have lost the skill to pass into space and run onto it making us easy to mark out of the game.

Jinxy
Posts in topic: 4

Unread post by Jinxy »

MrSwerve wrote:
05 Apr 2021 18:27

Same. I just did and wish I hadn't. We're just 4 points clear of Bournemouth at 7th, with same games played. Play offs seriously in doubt. Sorry.

monmouth
Posts in topic: 39

Unread post by monmouth »

Jinxy wrote:
05 Apr 2021 18:34
MrSwerve wrote:

Same. I just did and wish I hadn't. We're just 4 points clear of Bournemouth at 7th, with same games played. Play offs seriously in doubt. Sorry.
We've just lost to two of the poorest form teams in the league without looking like ever scoring. The odds are definitely on finishing 7th.

Itchysphincter
Posts in topic: 18

Unread post by Itchysphincter »

Londonlisa2001 wrote:
05 Apr 2021 16:59
Nocountryforoldjack wrote:
05 Apr 2021 16:57
Honestly I just don't get WTF has happened to us, it's like we've dropped off a cliff.
We were over achieving and getting all the luck in the world.

We now aren’t.

This is how bad we actually are.
Wrong again. We can be, and have been, better.

You need to stop blaming the players or pretending they’re at their level because it obvious there is more in them. It’s up to the manager to get it out of them. This one clearly can’t.

Peculiar how some people can be lifelong football fans yet still not understand how it works.

jack123 wrote:
06 Dec 2020 21:08
:lol: :lol: :lol: You should seek therapy, with thoughts like you have.. Dr P is the best thing since sliced bread.

PSumbler
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 21

Unread post by PSumbler »

Jinxy wrote:
05 Apr 2021 17:31
PSumbler wrote:
05 Apr 2021 17:15
Mr Birch once told me that no matter how bad things should get we should never sack Steve Cooper.
What worries me is that we have little idea of what kind of football, and therefore head coach, is desired by this current "regime" (Winter et al) Phil, unless you have a view? For all that was wrong with HJ and his merry men, the head coach appointments were pretty sound, and the passing style of play seemed to be as much their desire as us ours it seems.

I would rather not stick with the devil we know, personally, because I don't know how much more of this awful football I, or probs all of us, can take. We'd be annihilated in the PL under Cooper (no matter who he buys if we scraped up), so I for one would rather us not go up under him.

There's probably loads of young promising coaches in the Spanish and Dutch leagues at least, I would have thought, but I suspect our lot would rather scrape up, get hammered and cash in on our freefalling way back. What do you think?
Birch always gave the impression (verbally) that he was looking for people in the same mould as we would want them to be

However, Birch was always very good at saying what he thought the audience in front of him would want to hear - it is exactly why he got Curt and Britts to help him with the interview process because what could go wrong if these two club legends said yes.

Very good at protecting his own arse is Birch

Been running this place since 2001, still gives me a headache now!

Swanjaxs
Posts in topic: 15

Unread post by Swanjaxs »

PSumbler wrote:
05 Apr 2021 19:13
Jinxy wrote:
05 Apr 2021 17:31

What worries me is that we have little idea of what kind of football, and therefore head coach, is desired by this current "regime" (Winter et al) Phil, unless you have a view? For all that was wrong with HJ and his merry men, the head coach appointments were pretty sound, and the passing style of play seemed to be as much their desire as us ours it seems.

I would rather not stick with the devil we know, personally, because I don't know how much more of this awful football I, or probs all of us, can take. We'd be annihilated in the PL under Cooper (no matter who he buys if we scraped up), so I for one would rather us not go up under him.

There's probably loads of young promising coaches in the Spanish and Dutch leagues at least, I would have thought, but I suspect our lot would rather scrape up, get hammered and cash in on our freefalling way back. What do you think?
Birch always gave the impression (verbally) that he was looking for people in the same mould as we would want them to be

However, Birch was always very good at saying what he thought the audience in front of him would want to hear - it is exactly why he got Curt and Britts to help him with the interview process because what could go wrong if these two club legends said yes.

Aye, and buying a few pint for the great unwashed went down a storm PR wise for him too 👍

You'd rather me with you than against you

PSumbler
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 21

Unread post by PSumbler »

Swanjaxs wrote:
05 Apr 2021 19:20
PSumbler wrote:
05 Apr 2021 19:13

Aye, and buying a few pint for the great unwashed went down a storm PR wise for him too 👍
This is very true

And of course that wouldn't have been on club expenses at all would it... :lol:

Been running this place since 2001, still gives me a headache now!

bakajack

As I said elsewhere it would require a lot of balls to sack Cooper but I feel it has to be done if we are going to salvage this season and not snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Bob Bradley couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery but at least the football was entertaining.
Paulo Souza was boring but we always played it on the ground and at least pretended to play football.

We have gradually morphed since last season began til now from a footballing team renowned for possession, passing and entertaining football into hoof all merchants that pretend to be footballers.

Jackmore
Posts in topic: 1

Unread post by Jackmore »

JackFish wrote:
05 Apr 2021 17:00
Saying that, I don’t even particularly want us to get in the playoffs. The thought of Cooperball in the Prem makes me want to gouge my own eyes out. I think I’d rather we came seventh and started next season with a manager who can coach players to pass the ball to eachother.
THIS

bakajack

For starters not being hamstrung by forking out 4m+ per year on wages for Ayew will be a big step forward.

swan65split
Posts in topic: 12

Unread post by swan65split »

MrSwerve wrote:

I think its the same with the players, watch the video of them arriving at the ground, body language on a few is unbelievable,

swan65split
Posts in topic: 12

Unread post by swan65split »

monmouth wrote:
05 Apr 2021 18:54
Jinxy wrote:
05 Apr 2021 18:34

We've just lost to two of the poorest form teams in the league without looking like ever scoring. The odds are definitely on finishing 7th.
Scumdiff lost by 5 , did we did f all , your right , our season is over

Londonlisa2001
Posts in topic: 28

Unread post by Londonlisa2001 »

Itchysphincter wrote:
05 Apr 2021 19:07
Londonlisa2001 wrote:
05 Apr 2021 16:59

We were over achieving and getting all the luck in the world.

We now aren’t.

This is how bad we actually are.
Wrong again. We can be, and have been, better.

You need to stop blaming the players or pretending they’re at their level because it obvious there is more in them. It’s up to the manager to get it out of them. This one clearly can’t.

Peculiar how some people can be lifelong football fans yet still not understand how it works.
When a player misshits a pass or fails to close down or can’t get off the floor when he’s jumping against another player or falls on the ground looking for a free kick as he has neither the pace nor the skill to get past someone it’s his fault.

I’m no Cooper fan but this bunch of players aren’t silky, talent stuffed thoroughbreds waiting to be unleashed, they’re bang average players with zero consistency. Coaching is one issue, but inate ability is another.

If they had such ability they’d have been sold alongside everyone else. A few of them could do a good job with more talent alongside them (see mark Gower) but all together there is simply no spark.

Come on mun, you don’t pick up players as a first choice from Bristol Rovers because they’re superstars in the making at 30 odd. They are good, honest professionals at this level, but that’s not what’s needed to get up, a few of the team need to be a cut above and we just don’t have them. Guehi is probably the only one.

Londonlisa2001
Posts in topic: 28

Unread post by Londonlisa2001 »

bakajack wrote:
05 Apr 2021 19:44
For starters not being hamstrung by forking out 4m+ per year on wages for Ayew will be a big step forward.
This, this, this.