The Official Wycombe Wanderers vs Swansea City Match Thread

The Matchday threads have become somewhat of a legend on Planet Swans. Here, we keep them all for posterity, watch how forum posters react as our games materialise.

Moderator: jackharris

Topic author
jackharris
Posts in topic: 1

The Official Wycombe Wanderers vs Swansea City Match Thread

Unread post by jackharris »

Last edited by PSumbler on 27 Sep 2020 17:55, edited 6 times in total.

Trampie

Re: The Official Wycombe Wanderers vs Swansea City Match Thread

Unread post by Trampie »

I thought the Swans would have had a better head to head against Wycombe over the years than they have actually got.

CSF
Posts in topic: 4

Unread post by CSF »

Good job with the OP Jackharris! Lovely seeing the ground that formulated my football supporting years!!

It's safe to say I've been waiting 14 years for this, a league match between my hometown club and the club where I live. Interestingly I've not seen Wycombe beat the Swans at Adams Park, watched two losses up there, a draw at the Vetch, all in the league and two cup wins for Wycombe at the Liberty, one of which was the start of our run to the semis of the league cup against Chelsea, Scott Sinclair made his debut in the fist leg which we drew 1-1, Jermaine Easter bagging the Wycombe goal.

We've had a rough start to the league, not unexpected but a big wake up call for the season. I'm not expecting a Wycombe win, Swans have bags more talent, but Wycombe are known for their spirit and work rate so we shall see.

Quite a long list of players who have played for both sides, but I can't think of too many who did well for both clubs, possibly Akinfenwa, although he doesn't seem massively well remembered around here, and I'm not sure how well Nathan Tyson did up here on loan but he was brilliant for us in both spells. Stuart Roberts was a player I loved but I'm not sure Wycombe was a great move for him, he was excellent on his day for us.

JustJack

Unread post by JustJack »

It's a wonderful achievement for them to be where they are.

But I predict misery for them this season, and us to contribute to that.
Last edited by JustJack on 24 Sep 2020 12:10, edited 1 time in total.

Ringwood Jack

Unread post by Ringwood Jack »

CSF wrote:
24 Sep 2020 09:58
Good job with the OP Jackharris! Lovely seeing the ground that formulated my football supporting years!!

It's safe to say I've been waiting 14 years for this, a league match between my hometown club and the club where I live. Interestingly I've not seen Wycombe beat the Swans at Adams Park, watched two losses up there, a draw at the Vetch, all in the league and two cup wins for Wycombe at the Liberty, one of which was the start of our run to the semis of the league cup against Chelsea, Scott Sinclair made his debut in the fist leg which we drew 1-1, Jermaine Easter bagging the Wycombe goal.

We've had a rough start to the league, not unexpected but a big wake up call for the season. I'm not expecting a Wycombe win, Swans have bags more talent, but Wycombe are known for their spirit and work rate so we shall see.

Quite a long list of players who have played for both sides, but I can't think of too many who did well for both clubs, possibly Akinfenwa, although he doesn't seem massively well remembered around here, and I'm not sure how well Nathan Tyson did up here on loan but he was brilliant for us in both spells. Stuart Roberts was a player I loved but I'm not sure Wycombe was a great move for him, he was excellent on his day for us.

Just trying to workout who you actually support.

Glyn1

Unread post by Glyn1 »

Ringwood Jack wrote:
24 Sep 2020 12:15
CSF wrote:

"one of which was the start of OUR run to the semis of the league cup against Chelsea". And talking about Wycombe as "us" and "around here". Not obvious though.
Last edited by Glyn1 on 24 Sep 2020 13:40, edited 2 times in total.

CSF

Unread post by CSF »

Ringwood Jack wrote:
24 Sep 2020 12:15
CSF wrote:

To be fair sometimes I do that as well!

It's Wycombe. I lived there until I was 27 and moved up here for Uni and stayed. My best mate is from Swansea, had been to the Vetch a few times before I watched Wycombe up here. I've had a ST here for the best part of the last ten years so have much more of a knowledge of the Swans in that time than the Chairboys, I've joked with people for years about who I'd stand with should they play each other and now here we are.

If you look hard enough you can see similarities between both clubs over the years, we had our "Hull" game away at Torquay in 2014, were trust owned for a good while, but our takeover by an American hasn't had the same conflict as the Swans one. The Liberty deal was even used by a previous owner as an example of partnerships between clubs and the local council working well when he tried to get permission for a new stadium and investment from Bucks CC.

PSumbler
Site Admin

Unread post by PSumbler »

Been running this place since 2001, still gives me a headache now!

PSumbler
Site Admin

JustJack wrote:
24 Sep 2020 12:10

They've not ever won a game at this level and they play us next

You know what's going to happen :lol: :lol:

sainthelens
Posts in topic: 2

Unread post by sainthelens »

I'm a massive fan of Gareth Ainsworth and what he's managed to do there.
But we really should be winning this.

CSF

Unread post by CSF »

PSumbler wrote:
25 Sep 2020 08:13
JustJack wrote:
24 Sep 2020 12:10

They've only played 2!!

PSumbler
Site Admin

CSF wrote:
25 Sep 2020 13:42
PSumbler wrote:
25 Sep 2020 08:13

They've only played 2!!
Splitting hairs ;) :lol:

Cockneyswan

Unread post by Cockneyswan »

My mrs wants me take her shopping at Trostre Park tomorrow lunch time 😢, I don’t know that area very well, does anyone know any pubs will be showing tomorrow’s game in that area? I know I’m a wimp, thanks in advance🤞

John102

Unread post by John102 »

Was born in High Wycombe, first game I ever went to was at the old pitch at Loakes Park when I was about 4 years old, that was in the old Ishmiam League, first trip to Wembley was 1957 the old Amateur Cup Final when they got beat by Bishops Auckland 3-1. Now though a firm Swansea ST holder so sorry Wanderers COYS. 1-4 Swans tomorrow.

Democracy 2 lions and a wildebeest voting on what to have for lunch!

CSF

Unread post by CSF »

John102 wrote:
25 Sep 2020 20:43
Was born in High Wycombe, first game I ever went to was at the old pitch at Loakes Park when I was about 4 years old, that was in the old Ishmiam League, first trip to Wembley was 1957 the old Amateur Cup Final when they got beat by Bishops Auckland 3-1. Now though a firm Swansea ST holder so sorry Wanderers COYS. 1-4 Swans tomorrow.
Loved Loakes Park, went a few times as a kid, and went to the last game there George Best played.
I was born at Wycombe general which overlooked the old ground.