Heads of the Valleys.

It does exactly what it says on the tin. If it's not about football then it belongs in here for discussion. Once again we ask that you respect your fellow posters.

Topic author
Lifelong
Posts in topic: 2

Heads of the Valleys.

Unread post by Lifelong »

Drove over there today en route to the Midlands.

Haven’t been over there for a few years, not bothered if I go over there for the next 3 years. 19 miles of road works, a huge amount of work going on there with considerable delays.

Pegojack

Re: Heads of the Valleys.

Unread post by Pegojack »

I think they were working on that for virtually the whole 20 years I lived in Hereford. Its one of those roads that'll never be finished.

dickythorpe
Posts in topic: 1

Unread post by dickythorpe »

Which part are you visiting Lifey?
I always go over the bridge now, get too fed up with other routes.

Itchysphincter

Unread post by Itchysphincter »

Lifelong wrote:
02 Aug 2022 19:20
Drove over there today en route to the Midlands.

Haven’t been over there for a few years, not bothered if I go over there for the next 3 years. 19 miles of road works, a huge amount of work going on there with considerable delays.
EU built that road. Funds have probably run out for some reason. 😗
jack123 wrote:
06 Dec 2020 21:08
:lol: :lol: :lol: You should seek therapy, with thoughts like you have.. Dr P is the best thing since sliced bread.

Neath_Jack

Unread post by Neath_Jack »

Bloody brexit, before then the roadworks fairies used to come out at night and magically upgrade roads and bridges.

Topic author
Lifelong

Unread post by Lifelong »

dickythorpe wrote:
02 Aug 2022 19:57
The Solihull area.

Came back M5, M50, A449 onto M4 Newport..no problem.

Cooperman

Unread post by Cooperman »

Lifelong wrote:
02 Aug 2022 21:12
dickythorpe wrote:
02 Aug 2022 19:57
The Solihull area.

Came back M5, M50, A449 onto M4 Newport..no problem.
Crikey, now that you mention it and in conjunction with what Pego said, I have been back and forth to JLR in Solihull for more than twenty years and in that time the HoV has been worked upon at some place or other.

Robbie

Unread post by Robbie »

Drove back from Brum recently after a show there , it was about 1am and in the darkness got totally confused by diversion signs , average speed cameras and general chaos by Merthyr , then I ended up on the road to Cardiff , normally navigate this road easily enough .

Next time I will continue on the M50 to Newport , longer route but far easier to drive .

JackSomething

Unread post by JackSomething »

I have to take it a lot as the wife's family are from Ebbw Vale. The Ebbw to Abergavenny part seemed to take forever, but it was a hell of a job to be fair. I think they've been working on the Hirwaun to Dowlais stretch for over a year now, not sure how long that section will take. At least that will be it and then the whole road will be dual carriageway.

I wouldn't usually take it to go to Brum though, even without roadworks. M4 to Newport, A449 to Raglan, then A40/M50 every time unless there's been an accident.

Pegojack

Unread post by Pegojack »

JackSomething wrote:
03 Aug 2022 09:20
I have to take it a lot as the wife's family are from Ebbw Vale. The Ebbw to Abergavenny part seemed to take forever, but it was a hell of a job to be fair. I think they've been working on the Hirwaun to Dowlais stretch for over a year now, not sure how long that section will take. At least that will be it and then the whole road will be dual carriageway.

I wouldn't usually take it to go to Brum though, even without roadworks. M4 to Newport, A449 to Raglan, then A40/M50 every time unless there's been an accident.
I haven't been on it for a couple of years now, have they finished the Ebbw to Abergavenny stretch? You're right, it was a hell of job. Having been up and down that stretch more times than I care to remember when it was in its original form, a single lane road winding down an incredibly steep and narrow valley with a stream alongside, I take my hat off to the civil engineers involved.

3swan

Unread post by 3swan »

JackSomething wrote:

Yes that's the last stretch being worked on. Always used the HoV for home games. M4 route about 20 miles longer so didn't find much difference time wise.

Niigata Jack
Posts in topic: 3

Unread post by Niigata Jack »

3swan wrote:
03 Aug 2022 14:25
JackSomething wrote:

Yes that's the last stretch being worked on. Always used the HoV for home games. M4 route about 20 miles longer so didn't find much difference time wise.
Hirwaun, Aberdare area's are a nightmare to navigate at the moment.

3swan

Unread post by 3swan »

Niigata Jack wrote:
03 Aug 2022 17:38
3swan wrote:
03 Aug 2022 14:25

Thanks

Looks like mid 2025 for completion

https://gov.wales/a465-section-5-and-6- ... op-hirwaun

Niigata Jack
Posts in topic: 3

Unread post by Niigata Jack »

3swan wrote:
03 Aug 2022 21:20
Niigata Jack wrote:
03 Aug 2022 17:38

Thanks

Looks like mid 2025 for completion

https://gov.wales/a465-section-5-and-6- ... op-hirwaun
You can guarantee that it'll all have a 50mph speed limit with average speed cameras along its length as well.

jack_lord

Unread post by jack_lord »

When It is completed it will be a great road to the Midlands.
some great views along the way and much nicer than that damned m4 with all its own 50mph restrictions. Shame that Monmouth can't be bypassed as well.
It is an absolute pain at the moment and is adding so much time with hold ups at Hirwaun, Bavistock, Merthyr and Dowlais Top. It does seem to be an endless wait but for future travellers it will be so much better.
I did like it before mind!