Mini parent-coaches

Please only use this forum to discuss football related matters. Non football related posts will be removed to the correct forum. Please respect your fellow posters at all times and refrain as much as possible from the use of bad language.

Topic author
Sherpa
Posts in topic: 4

Mini parent-coaches

Unread post by Sherpa »

Would welcome the views of anyone involved in mini football

My lad plays minis U8s, and I help coach. We have enough players to run several teams at this age group. The usual mix of outstanding, average and struggling with the basics kids.

The "head coach" has decided he wants the best players (of which my lad is one) all playing together in the same team.

This would mean i wouldn't get to coach him, and as i will be needed to coach one of the other teams most weeks I won't even see him play.

I think its wrong- I've been told to wind my neck in.

My son wants his dad watching him, so it will likely mean I stop coaching.

Darran
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Mini parent-coaches

Unread post by Darran »

You do what you want to do. There shouldn’t be a problem if you stop coaching to watch your son.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award

Dr. Winston
Posts in topic: 1

Unread post by Dr. Winston »

Unfortunately the head coach seems like one of those types who thinks that u8's football is about winning rather than making sure the kids are all having fun and developing their skills. There are far, far too many of them about.
These users thanked the author Dr. Winston for the post (total 2):
waynekerr55, MrSwerve

"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back"

sainthelens

Unread post by sainthelens »

I coached a mini football team for 6 years. I coached 1 team, and my mate coached the other as we had around 16 players. His boy was in his team and mine in mine. We started by mixing up the lads so no side had distinct advantage over the other. That kept everyone including parents happy and made for competitive so called derby games.
That guy in question sounds a right tw@t and needs telling. It's all about enjoyment for the kids....not his ego.
Hope it works out for you.

WalterBoyd
Posts in topic: 3

Unread post by WalterBoyd »

Sherpa wrote:
11 Oct 2021 17:22

My lad plays minis U8s, and I help coach. We have enough players to run several teams at this age group. The usual mix of outstanding, average and struggling with the basics kids.

The "head coach" has decided he wants the best players (of which my lad is one) all playing together in the same team.

This would mean i wouldn't get to coach him, and as i will be needed to coach one of the other teams most weeks I won't even see him play.

You have to either stop coaching and watch your son or be an assistant coach in his team. Sounds like the head coach probably already has an assistant, but over time with holidays, illness, referee needed you may still get called upon to help out in your sons team.

Lifes too short for you to coach another team and not see your son play.

Tonyrefail Jack

Unread post by Tonyrefail Jack »

You'll regret it if you don't see your son play..
These users thanked the author Tonyrefail Jack for the post:
STID2017

JustJack

Unread post by JustJack »

Honestly take it from years of experience

It's not a problem that will last a long time because this nonsense at 8 years old will inevitably just drive enough of the players away, that you will just have one team again.

In addition, the coach who wants to push through with this idea has the personality that will likely mean he ends up leaving for another club, taking some players with him, and it will be back to one team again

This A and B team crap at U8 very rarely lives to see U10

Most of them just want to play with their friends.

Watch your boy play for a year and then coach the team again when it all falls apart.

Baron Goblet

Unread post by Baron Goblet »

My kids played with their mates right through. One or two are outstanding. Two or three above average. Rest of team are still learning. I mingle with a lot of coaches from u14s and up to Premier amateur. The most fun I have had and continue to have, is watching my kids move into playing against 40 year olds, and seeing how diverse the game is. My coach (who is also a good mate )in the team I play for, is different. Bit of a streamer from age u10 and up. He is now VP of the club and potentially future president. Takes all sorts.

thefranchise
Posts in topic: 6

Unread post by thefranchise »

Sherpa wrote:

Which teams? If it's Swansea, drop me a message.
Last edited by thefranchise on 12 Oct 2021 09:15, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Sherpa
Posts in topic: 4

Unread post by Sherpa »

thefranchise wrote:
12 Oct 2021 09:14
Sherpa wrote:

Which teams? If it's Swansea, drop me a message.
Its not Swansea, but it is in South Wales

LeonWasTheDog's

Unread post by LeonWasTheDog's »

Dr. Winston wrote:
11 Oct 2021 20:40
Unfortunately the head coach seems like one of those types who thinks that u8's football is about winning rather than making sure the kids are all having fun and developing their skills. There are far, far too many of them about.
Yep. It drove my lad away from the game (and several others who'd been with the team for several years). I understand the will to win increases as kids get older, but it's not healthy to have non-inclusive setups when kids are under 10 and developing.
These users thanked the author LeonWasTheDog's for the post:
Dr. Winston

Itchysphincter

Unread post by Itchysphincter »

Awful people some of them. Unfortunately a lot of the worst people to be involved with kids’ football are the ones with the time on their hands to do it. Shouldn’t be anywhere near grassroots football. I was told recently by a minis coach that it was their job to provide players for the first team. A works team mind. FFS.
These users thanked the author Itchysphincter for the post:
waynekerr55

jack123 wrote:
06 Dec 2020 21:08
:lol: :lol: :lol: You should seek therapy, with thoughts like you have.. Dr P is the best thing since sliced bread.

thefranchise
Posts in topic: 6

Unread post by thefranchise »

If any of you are in Swansea, message me.

Darran

Unread post by Darran »

Itchysphincter wrote:
12 Oct 2021 10:28
Awful people some of them. Unfortunately a lot of the worst people to be involved with kids’ football are the ones with the time on their hands to do it. Shouldn’t be anywhere near grassroots football. I was told recently by a minis coach that it was their job to provide players for the first team. A works team mind. FFS.
Attachments
9047FB75-8D1C-4A2A-A31F-25EAE84AFB1D.gif
9047FB75-8D1C-4A2A-A31F-25EAE84AFB1D.gif (6.59 MiB) Viewed 624 times

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award

magicdaps10

Unread post by magicdaps10 »

Sherpa wrote:

If the coach is acting like this with under 8s then I would get out of there. Massive issue with a lot of coaches is that they do it because their kids are playing for that team and they tend to see their kid as better than they actually are.
My advice would be to step back and watch your boys and study the coaches.... You will then see blind fools who will do what's best for them and their own kids.
These users thanked the author magicdaps10 for the post:
thefranchise