Michael Laudrup speaketh

Please only use this forum to discuss football related matters. Non football related posts will be removed to the correct forum. Please respect your fellow posters at all times and refrain as much as possible from the use of bad language.

mrploppy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Michael Laudrup speaketh

Unread post by mrploppy »

Samba wrote:
10 Oct 2021 11:29
J_B wrote:
10 Oct 2021 10:47

Point of order. It was 3 - 1 at half time, Lukaku scored just before the break.

I disagree that we had lost pride and passion when Laudrup was sacked. The West Ham game was appalling but the game before we comfortably brushed Fulham aside and shortly before that we won at Old Trafford. Laudrup was not sacked for results and performances but for internal club politics.
Your memory is far better than mine 👍

For me, remembering the West Ham game has stuck in my mind. No pride or passion. From what I recall, I thought we were on a bit of a losing streak but obviously you've corrected me.

Oh how I miss that football 😒
I, for one, was not disappointed, or surprised, by Laudrup's sacking. Yes, we beat Fulham before losing to WHU, but before that in the PL we hadn't won since early December and the performances were not good. We were definitely heading towards relegation, and as someone else said, I don't think we'd have beaten Cardiff if Laudrup hadn't been sacked. He was a strange one, for sure. We played some brilliant football at times but I never felt his heart was really in it. And where is he now?
These users thanked the author mrploppy for the post (total 2):
Samba, dickythorpe

Vetchonian

Unread post by Vetchonian »

mrploppy wrote:
10 Oct 2021 15:16
Samba wrote:
10 Oct 2021 11:29

Your memory is far better than mine 👍

For me, remembering the West Ham game has stuck in my mind. No pride or passion. From what I recall, I thought we were on a bit of a losing streak but obviously you've corrected me.

Oh how I miss that football 😒
I, for one, was not disappointed, or surprised, by Laudrup's sacking. Yes, we beat Fulham before losing to WHU, but before that in the PL we hadn't won since early December and the performances were not good. We were definitely heading towards relegation, and as someone else said, I don't think we'd have beaten Cardiff if Laudrup hadn't been sacked. He was a strange one, for sure. We played some brilliant football at times but I never felt his heart was really in it. And where is he now?
I think his focus in his secind season was on the Europa League,JAckie Rockey gave an interview when she retired and in that she spoke of how Laudrup was focused on the best route to Europe and he found it witrh the League Cup what ever it was called when we won it ....I think he wasfocused on the Europa League and given there were a huge list of first team injuries ariiund that time he was possibly not concerned about league games....whilst MOnk and the sellouts of course were scared folosing teh PL satus.....Imagine had we kept Laudrup and gone on to be the first WElsh team to win a European competetion?
We will never know instead we scaked and replaced him with MOnk nuff said

PSumbler
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6

Unread post by PSumbler »

Said it many times but the season Laudrup was sacked we would not have been relegated had we not sacked him

The problem with Laudrup was others at the club had bigger egos and wanted someone they could control managing the team
Last edited by PSumbler on 11 Oct 2021 12:42, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author PSumbler for the post:
J_B

Been running this place since 2001, still gives me a headache now!

PSumbler
Site Admin

Risc wrote:
06 Oct 2021 11:43
Darran wrote:
05 Oct 2021 18:01

It’s such a shame Leigh Dineen,John van Zweden and the rest of them ganged up on Huw Jenkins to sack him.
The trust also from what I remember.

Didn't help when they were all listening to your mate Garry either!

edit - He said: “There has inevitably been a mixed reaction amongst fans to the announcement, with the club facing a critical period of key matches in three major competitions.

" However we know, from our supporter director, Huw Cooze, that the board has not taken this decision lightly, particularly in such an important week for the club and it’s vital that we now all pull together to give the team our full support. We all want to see an upturn in results and what better place to start than at the Liberty Stadium against Cardiff City” - Our very own Phil!
I think Mr Prosser is on about our former chairman stating once that he didnt want to sack Laudrup but all the bigger boys made him do it

I wouldnt have sacked him then but once he was gone the party line was the only one to publicly state especially in the view that a vitally important derby game was just around the corner

You're lucky it was cohesive, I'd had a few that night :lol:

dickythorpe
Posts in topic: 5

Unread post by dickythorpe »

If the players had lost faith in him then sacking him was right

Topic author
Darran

Unread post by Darran »

PSumbler wrote:
11 Oct 2021 12:46
Risc wrote:
06 Oct 2021 11:43

The trust also from what I remember.

Didn't help when they were all listening to your mate Garry either!

edit - He said: “There has inevitably been a mixed reaction amongst fans to the announcement, with the club facing a critical period of key matches in three major competitions.

" However we know, from our supporter director, Huw Cooze, that the board has not taken this decision lightly, particularly in such an important week for the club and it’s vital that we now all pull together to give the team our full support. We all want to see an upturn in results and what better place to start than at the Liberty Stadium against Cardiff City” - Our very own Phil!
I think Mr Prosser is on about our former chairman stating once that he didnt want to sack Laudrup but all the bigger boys made him do it

I wouldnt have sacked him then but once he was gone the party line was the only one to publicly state especially in the view that a vitally important derby game was just around the corner

You're lucky it was cohesive, I'd had a few that night :lol:
I am.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award

PSumbler
Site Admin

dickythorpe wrote:
11 Oct 2021 13:09
If indeed they had

Assuming that the player revolt wasn't led by the person who was to benefit most from the sacking

dickythorpe
Posts in topic: 5

Unread post by dickythorpe »

:
PSumbler wrote:
12 Oct 2021 13:43
dickythorpe wrote:
11 Oct 2021 13:09
If indeed they had

Assuming that the player revolt wasn't led by the person who was to benefit most from the sacking

Thing is Phil that sounds like you or a source close to you has inside info.
People like me wouldn't have that.
If you or others had that info that was contrary to what was being put out in the media, shouldn't that be made public?
Not knocking you or others but so many seem to know a hell of a lot of what the players feel, think or have done in their past or are going to do in their futures.
Last edited by dickythorpe on 12 Oct 2021 13:48, edited 2 times in total.

Allergic2Hoof

Unread post by Allergic2Hoof »

We were going down. Our league record between September 23 and the day of the sacking was W4 D5 L10 and were 2 points above relegation. Our 4 wins were Fulham x2, Newcastle and Sunderland.

The board made the correct decision to get rid, but in hindsight they replaced a ferrari with a lada

Risc
Posts in topic: 2

Unread post by Risc »

Vetchonian wrote:
11 Oct 2021 11:56
mrploppy wrote:
10 Oct 2021 15:16

I think his focus in his secind season was on the Europa League,JAckie Rockey gave an interview when she retired and in that she spoke of how Laudrup was focused on the best route to Europe and he found it witrh the League Cup what ever it was called when we won it ....I think he wasfocused on the Europa League and given there were a huge list of first team injuries ariiund that time he was possibly not concerned about league games....whilst MOnk and the sellouts of course were scared folosing teh PL satus.....Imagine had we kept Laudrup and gone on to be the first WElsh team to win a European competetion?
We will never know instead we scaked and replaced him with MOnk nuff said
Laudrup was known in his former clubs to prioritise cup competitions. With the money the Premier League brings that was never going to end up well for him when league form dipped.

Dr. Winston
Posts in topic: 2

Unread post by Dr. Winston »

As with a lot of things in life, it's not a binary yes/no answer.

You can't ignore Laudrup's long track record of falling out with club management in his second season. That was probably at the heart of the matter. He could be a prickly guy at times and I don't think Tutumlu helped the situation. However, it also can't be denied that the perfect conditions existed for a falling out between manager and club.

We had a chairman also possessing a troubled history with a certain type of managerial personality (Politicians like Rodgers and Martinez handled him much better than straight talkers like Laudrup & Sousa) and a club captain determined to poison the well, mostly out of bitterness but as Phil says, also because he was well positioned to take advantage of any vacancy.

I don't think we'd have gone down if he'd stayed, but the decision to part ways is understandable. What isn't understandable or forgiveable is what happened next.
Last edited by Dr. Winston on 12 Oct 2021 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Dr. Winston for the post:
Thrasher

"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back"

PSumbler
Site Admin

dickythorpe wrote:
12 Oct 2021 13:47
:
PSumbler wrote:
12 Oct 2021 13:43

If indeed they had

Thing is Phil that sounds like you or a source close to you has inside info.
People like me wouldn't have that.
If you or others had that info that was contrary to what was being put out in the media, shouldn't that be made public?
Not knocking you or others but so many seem to know a hell of a lot of what the players feel, think or have done in their past or are going to do in their futures.
The one thing I will say (and some of this unfortunately is heresay but I would have no reason to doubt it) is that player power played more than its fair share in the decision to remove him. And one of those players ended up as our manager as a direct result.

The line about how everyone ganged up on Jenkins (board wise) to sack Laudrup is another comical one as the board were widely telling anyone they felt would listen that Laudrup was bad for the club the previous summer. And unfortunately I have no doubt that is because he wanted more control on certain matters than we wanted to give him given we had more than one director wanting to play football manager in real life.
These users thanked the author PSumbler for the post:
dickythorpe

PSumbler
Site Admin

Allergic2Hoof wrote:
12 Oct 2021 15:05
We were going down. Our league record between September 23 and the day of the sacking was W4 D5 L10 and were 2 points above relegation. Our 4 wins were Fulham x2, Newcastle and Sunderland.

The board made the correct decision to get rid, but in hindsight they replaced a ferrari with a lada
Nobody can say with any certainty that we were going down and I maintain we were too good to go down (appreciating that it means nothing) - you make the point yourself we were 2 points above relegation which was coupled with having a Europa League campaign that had already seen us play 10 more games than most of our immediate rivals.

I firmly believe we would have stayed up with some to spare had we kept him but nobody will ever know for certain although even you have alluded to it by saying a lada kept us up :lol: ;) (tongue in cheek comment)

Best_loser
Posts in topic: 3

Unread post by Best_loser »

Laudrup wasn't here long, he gave us our best season but then seemed to lose interest and had us on a path to relegation, he is still lauded and rightly so
Then there is monk, a great player for us, did ok as a manager for us, went on to manage some big clubs , ultimately ending in failure, so ok, monks teams style of play wasn't great but the demonisation of him by fans is a bit unfair I think

Football fans are a fickle bunch
These users thanked the author Best_loser for the post:
dickythorpe

I always tell the truth, even when I lie

PSumbler
Site Admin

Best_loser wrote:
14 Oct 2021 11:30
Laudrup wasn't here long, he gave us our best season but then seemed to lose interest and had us on a path to relegation, he is still lauded and rightly so
Then there is monk, a great player for us, did ok as a manager for us, went on to manage some big clubs , ultimately ending in failure, so ok, monks teams style of play wasn't great but the demonisation of him by fans is a bit unfair I think

Football fans are a fickle bunch
https://planetswans.co.uk/2020/07/04/th ... arry-monk/