Season 20/21: Barnsley v Swansea, Championship Play Off Semi Final 1st Leg, Match Thread

The Matchday threads have become somewhat of a legend on Planet Swans. Here, we keep them all for posterity, watch how forum posters react as our games materialise.

Moderator: jackharris

Ringwood Jack
Posts in topic: 15

Re: Season 20/21: Barnsley v Swansea, Championship Play Off Semi Final 1st Leg, Match Thread

Unread post by Ringwood Jack »

I love reading the optimism on here.. beating Barnsley twice comfortably !?! not the games i remember. They have picked up big time since we last played them and we have stuttered over the line.

Saying that i do think its the more favourable semi final for us if we match their work rate and become more clinical up top, Most are tipping a Brentford v Barnsley Final and Brentford getting promoted .

Do we have that two big game performances in us to get to the final ?

Magic_Michu
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Season 20/21: Barnsley v Swansea, Championship Play Off Semi Final 1st Leg, Match Thread

Unread post by Magic_Michu »

I’d be almost tempted to go back to 5 at the back for the away leg... keep it tight and hope to nick a goal... much like earlier in the season.

And then 433 for the home game.

Ringwood Jack
Posts in topic: 15

Unread post by Ringwood Jack »

Is there really any advantage in the home/away fixtures this season.. ?

Swansea93

Unread post by Swansea93 »

Magic_Michu wrote:
10 May 2021 10:17
I’d be almost tempted to go back to 5 at the back for the away leg... keep it tight and hope to nick a goal... much like earlier in the season.

And then 433 for the home game.
I agree with this, Barnsley will fully expect us to be lining up with the formation we have been using lately.

Baron Goblet
Posts in topic: 2

Unread post by Baron Goblet »

Dont care what Barnsley do or expect

We remain optimistic and focused on winning the next game

sainthelens
Posts in topic: 11

Unread post by sainthelens »

Its gonna be emotionally draining having to watch without the possibility of huge numbers of us being there, the sight of maybe getting to the final and who knows winning it. The thought of not being there to witness the above is fckn awful.

karnataka
Posts in topic: 16

Unread post by karnataka »

sainthelens wrote:
11 May 2021 11:21
Its gonna be emotionally draining having to watch without the possibility of huge numbers of us being there, the sight of maybe getting to the final and who knows winning it. The thought of not being there to witness the above is fckn awful.
Absolutely right, I've been to Wembley every time the swans have played there starting with Huddersfield in early 90s to spurs away in the Prem a few years ago and I'd like to continue that record.

3swan
Posts in topic: 1

Unread post by 3swan »

karnataka wrote:
11 May 2021 11:28
sainthelens wrote:
Absolutely right, I've been to Wembley every time the swans have played there starting with Huddersfield in early 90s to spurs away in the Prem a few years ago and I'd like to continue that record.
Same here but the chance of keeping that record going (If we get to the final) imo is less than zero.

sainthelens
Posts in topic: 11

Unread post by sainthelens »

3swan wrote:
11 May 2021 11:36
karnataka wrote:

Same here but the chance of keeping that record going (If we get to the final) imo is less than zero.
I've said all along , if we get to the final we'll win it, but getting there is gonna take a mammoth effort. The logic ? Maybe cos our record at Wembley is nigh on perfect...but mostly cos whoever the opponents gonna be, the pressure on them as favourites will be too much.

bakajack
Posts in topic: 1

Unread post by bakajack »

I agree with going for the 532 for the first leg, Robert's has had a chance to recharge his batteries and he will be up for tearing it up at their ground as a wing back.

Fulton also has to be in the starting team, great work rate and a level of technique that many don't associate with him.

monmouth
Posts in topic: 12

Unread post by monmouth »

I hope people aren't under the impression we monstered them in beating them twice. We beat them twice by playing totally negatively and scrapping out two goals in each game...both times getting the second when we looked under a bit of pressure at 1-0. We spent both games just lumping it aimlessly up the pitch, and so did they. Unless they've changed, I'm not expecting much football. This will be a close run thing.

mrploppy
Posts in topic: 5

Unread post by mrploppy »

monmouth wrote:
11 May 2021 15:28
I hope people aren't under the impression we monstered them in beating them twice. We beat them twice by playing totally negatively and scrapping out two goals in each game...both times getting the second when we looked under a bit of pressure at 1-0. We spent both games just lumping it aimlessly up the pitch, and so did they. Unless they've changed, I'm not expecting much football. This will be a close run thing.
Except you're conveniently forgetting neither game was played on a pitch conducive to passing the ball around. We played the conditions perfectly on both occasions. I'm expecting much different games this time, especially at home.

cwmdonkinjack

Unread post by cwmdonkinjack »

karnataka wrote:
sainthelens wrote:
The Northampton play off final is still a bad memory with their free kick

Pacemaker
Posts in topic: 2

Unread post by Pacemaker »

Now 6.30pm KO for home leg

Glyn1
Posts in topic: 4

Unread post by Glyn1 »

One good stat and one bad stat taken from the Barnsley fans forum.

Good: Barnsley haven't beaten us in our last 12 matches.

Bad: Barnsley are 3rd in the league for goals scored from set pieces with 17. However, Swansea are top of the league in goals conceded from set pieces with 7.

The second stat is more relevant and I hope Coops is working on it.